The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Ejection after the game (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/20661-ejection-after-game.html)

LeftyRef Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:07am

I know this has been discussed before, but how many people actually eject coaches/players after the game has ended? I had quite a situation last night after my game had ended, and could have easily dumped the coach. If anyone has done it, did the league impose penalties as if the ejection had occured during play? Just curious if this was a uniform procedure in all parts of the country....

bob jenkins Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:10am

Quote:

Originally posted by LeftyRef
I know this has been discussed before, but how many people actually eject coaches/players after the game has ended? I had quite a situation last night after my game had ended, and could have easily dumped the coach. If anyone has done it, did the league impose penalties as if the ejection had occured during play? Just curious if this was a uniform procedure in all parts of the country....
I have ejected a coach and a player after the game has ended.

The player was suspended for the next game.

The coach was fired.

Buckeye12 Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:35am

I too have ejected a coach after the last out was made. The state league did suspend the coach for the next two games (standard suspension for an ejection). The NCAA has also released a video bulletin expressing to umpires that players and coaches should indeed be ejected if their conduct warrents; even if the last out has been made. Just because the game is over doesn't mean that it is "open season" on the umpires as they leave the field.

Another option to ejection (if you don't feel comfortable ejecting) following the last out is simply write an unsportsmanlike conduct report to the league president/office. Provide a detailed summary of the actions that took place after the game and leave suspensions/repercussions up to the league president and ask him to provide instructions to umpires on what action is acceptable in this situation.

mcrowder Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:45am

I've done both. 1 ejection after a game in my career. He received the 1-game vacation required by the district afterward, and a reprimand.

I also tried the USC report instead of ejecting. Went nowhere, nothing happened.

If their behavior after a game warrants an ejection, eject them.

cbfoulds Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:57am

Only done it once that I can remember: banger at 1st called out to end the game. Problem child yells from the dugout "YOU SUCK!!!". Took his number and ejected him. He's crowing: "So what? the game's OVER!?!"

Think you'll find it doesn't work like that, son.

2 game suspension meant that his league season was over. And a USC suspension in that league also meant no spot on the "AllStar" team for post-season inter-league play, either. See ya' next spring, bucko.

JRutledge Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:45pm

I ejected a coach in 2004 after the game was over. I had already restricted this coach to the dugout (I should have just dumped him then). Right after the game the coach made a comment before we left the field. Unfortunately the home coach (not the coach I ejected) wanted us to fill out some paperwork that I insisted that we fill out before the game, but he did not bring it to us. So we were still on the field and I heard the visiting coach running his mouth to me directly right after the teams are shaking hands. I ejected him and thought it was over.

Early the next morning the Principal called me to ask about the incident (he received the IHSA report thru email). He served at least a one game suspension. The coach was not back the next year.

Peace

LeftyRef Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:52pm

To fill in the blanks of my initial post, I did not end up dumping the guy, but I wrote a detailed e-mail to the league describing the incident. I just recieved word he will be serving a one game suspension--the same penalty as an in-game ejection.

mcrowder Thu Jun 02, 2005 01:05pm

Kudos to your league, Lefty.

ozzy6900 Thu Jun 02, 2005 07:22pm

I'll do it in a minute at those AAU games that I do. Those stupid AAU coaches get pretty snotty after the game is over and when I heave them, they are out for the next game too! :D :D :D :D

John Robertson Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:21pm

I've done it twice. The leagues imposed a suspension each time. They have to--or it would be open season on umpires.

chris s Sun Jun 05, 2005 06:02am

My situation is a bit different. Used to work for local city for this rec "socko" league.Basically softball, but you pitch to your own team, 2 pitches, hit em or you are out....easy game, 1 hour time limit.4 games/nite....easy 80 clams. Problem was you would have guys from early games hanging out giving you ****, never ejected, but reports would do wonders!! It always amazed me that these trouble makers were usually youth ball coaches, they know ALL the rules...............