The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Bat Switching (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/20634-bat-switching.html)

hardball3b Tue May 31, 2005 04:40pm

OBR. Can a batter, after seeing a pitch, return to replace a legal, unbroken, bat for a differenct one? 6.02b Seems this action would give a batter an advantage. How about FED and NCAA?

akalsey Tue May 31, 2005 04:49pm

6.02b is there to prevent the batter from stepping out of the box as the pitcher starts his pitch. It doesn't mean that a bater must remain in the box until he is put out or reaches base.

This has been discussed earlier and I beleive the consensus was that there's no reason to prevent a batter from exchanging his bat for another. However, if the batter attempted to do so too often (such as after each pitch), I'd be inclined to put a stop to it rather quickly. In my judgement that batter would be attempting to delay the game or make a travesty of the game.

David B Tue May 31, 2005 08:59pm

Pine tar?

Quote:

Originally posted by hardball3b
OBR. Can a batter, after seeing a pitch, return to replace a legal, unbroken, bat for a differenct one? 6.02b Seems this action would give a batter an advantage. How about FED and NCAA?
I don't know of any rule that prevents the batter from changing in FED or NCAA.

I don't have my book with me, but isn't it OBR that has a rule about pine tar or something?

You can't return to put on more?

Or maybe I'm just dreaming.

Thanks
David

BlueinLINY Tue May 31, 2005 09:56pm

Re: Pine tar?

"I don't have my book with me, but isn't it OBR that has a rule about pine tar or something?

You can't return to put on more?

Or maybe I'm just dreaming.

Thanks
David [/B][/QUOTE]

No, Dave, you're not dreaming:

OBR 6.02(b): "Once a batter has taken his position in the batter's box, he shall not be permitted to step out of the batter's box in order to use the resin or the pine tar rag, unless there is a delay in the game action or, in the judgment of the umpires, weather conditions warrant an exception."

DG Tue May 31, 2005 11:01pm

Quote:

I don't know why he would want to change, but I would allow him to change one time. I don't know what advantage would be gained from changing bats unless he decides he can't get around on the fastball and opts for a shorter and therefore lighter bat.

cowbyfan1 Wed Jun 01, 2005 04:22am

Or he feels he can with a heavier bat. I would let him change one time. After that it better be broken.

ozzy6900 Wed Jun 01, 2005 06:05am

Quote:

How is this an advantage? F1 has an assortment of pitches he can throw. Do we limit F1 to a fastball because he threw one to B1? Of course not! If B1 requests time to get another bat, just let him go and stop looking for boogers!

hardball3b Wed Jun 01, 2005 07:11am

Bat Switching

DG hit the nail on the head. Batter come up, see's a pitch, decides he needs a different bat to adjust to the pitches and that, to me, produces and advantage. I have NEVER seen a pro or college game where this has occured.

tmp44 Wed Jun 01, 2005 07:19am

Re: Bat Switching

Quote:

DG hit the nail on the head. Batter come up, see's a pitch, decides he needs a different bat to adjust to the pitches and that, to me, produces and advantage. I have NEVER seen a pro or college game where this has occured.
Maybe not in a pro or college game, but under a lot of younger leagues which use OBR, who knows what these kids will do. Half of them don't know the game yet alone which bat they should use.

cbfoulds Wed Jun 01, 2005 08:03am

Re: Bat Switching

Quote:

Which tells you nothing. Bet you've also never seen a pro or college game where the umpire refused to allow a bat switch, either.

Pro, they're using wood bats [not a heck of a lot of variation is possible]; they are professionals, for goodness sake, they surely know what tools they want to use when they first approach the plate. Seeing one pitch isn't gonna change their minds.

College, we're talking aluminum/plutonium alloy. Bubba is coming to the plate with his very own, personally selected, $500 bat here. "Gee, that guy is tossing the split-finger with a 64* counter-Mobius rotation: I'd best borrow Clancy's stick." - I think not.

Don't be an OOO.

If B is not "adjusting" every pitch, or taking an undue amount of time to get the different bat: let him!