The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Whew!!! The white stuff just won't go away another 1 to 3 on it's way. Another winter like this past one and I'll join Warren where it is warm.

Teams have been practicing in the gym, but there's nothing like being on the field to "go over" game type scenarios. The field conditions here in the east are just terrible with all the bad weather we have been having. Even scrimages have been at a minimum.

Ok what does this all mean. In the early part of April (my first game in 4/2), I'm expecting some blow-outs. Also, "good ole" NY does not sanction the Mercy Rule except in the modified (7th / 8th graders) divisions and there it is a 15 run rule not 10.

IMO blow-out games are the worst to umpire in. Only bad things can come out of it. I'd much rather be involved in 2-1 thriller even if every call is crucial.

What do you do when the game becomes a blow-out?

Some things I do are

Strike Zone - Noes to Toes
Any close play - OUT!

Thanks

Pete Booth
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Question ? Mercy rule for modified.....

Where did you hear about a mercy rule for modified games only? That's a new one by me.....
Also, I think you need to move to western NY where you can really appreciate Warren's weather. Yesterday I was outside chipping golf balls in the yard. I opened the door this morning and almost crapped pants! Snow half way up the door, a foot in the drive and more coming they say. So much for weather forecasts!
At this rate, I would not expect to see any games get played until LATE April. Most the fields in this area seem to have an affinity for H2O.....
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth

Some things I do are

Any close play - OUT!

Thanks

Pete Booth
I call the game the same way I always call it. The kids who are playing deserve it. The game can always be shortened with the consent of both coaches.

But, I might work on different mechanics -- a new plate stance, work in B instead of C, work in C instead of B, take plays at the plate from a different side, etc.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Always remember, you can do some little things to speed up the game or avoid a lot of walks. However, remeber that the game sytill means something to the kids playing. Maybe the winning team has their last 5 guys on the bench in the game, and you can bet they do not play much so they do not want cheated out of their at bat wih a poor strike call. The lower levels you do the more you can help pick up the pace of the game. But I have this happen at Varsity and even up to the D-3 level. I believe that you just call the game the way it should be. If you call a kid out just cause its a close play, or you widen the strike zone, you are now opening yourself up to problems. Remember, in most cases the play, or the game aways means something to someone.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Well since I'VE been umpiring since February I'll tell you what I do during "big boy" blow outs.

I'll tell the catcher for the winning team to relay that the zone will be bigger for them. I have no problems from coaches, players or even the fans for this. It's not uncommon for a coach to thank you for this as he walks by.

You may think that the scrubs feel cheated by this tactic. Nope, they all pretty much expect it. Now I don't call it different top to bottom, it just gets w - i - d - e.

Just the way I do it.

Will
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
More strikes is fine

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteBooth
Whew!!! The white stuff just won't go away another 1 to 3 on it's way. Another winter like this past one and I'll join Warren where it is warm.

Teams have been practicing in the gym, but there's nothing like being on the field to "go over" game type scenarios. The field conditions here in the east are just terrible with all the bad weather we have been having. Even scrimages have been at a minimum.

Ok what does this all mean. In the early part of April (my first game in 4/2), I'm expecting some blow-outs. Also, "good ole" NY does not sanction the Mercy Rule except in the modified (7th / 8th graders) divisions and there it is a 15 run rule not 10.

IMO blow-out games are the worst to umpire in. Only bad things can come out of it. I'd much rather be involved in 2-1 thriller even if every call is crucial.

Some things I do are

Any close play - OUT!

Thanks

Pete Booth
I agree in expanding the strike zone at least for the team that is way ahead. I would not "announce" my new zone other than perhaps a causual comment to the catcher of the lead team. Also on close pitches I might say to the batter "I know with a 12 run lead you're not up here looking for a walk." It usually gets a smile. I do not agree with any other changes that send a message that neither my partner nor I want to be there. Jim Simms / NYC
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PAblue87
Always remember, you can do some little things to speed up the game or avoid a lot of walks. However, remeber that the game sytill means something to the kids playing. Maybe the winning team has their last 5 guys on the bench in the game, and you can bet they do not play much so they do not want cheated out of their at bat wih a poor strike call. The lower levels you do the more you can help pick up the pace of the game. But I have this happen at Varsity and even up to the D-3 level. I believe that you just call the game the way it should be. If you call a kid out just cause its a close play, or you widen the strike zone, you are now opening yourself up to problems. Remember, in most cases the play, or the game aways means something to someone.
This is the first time I recall being offered this particular perspective on why you shouldn't change your zone in a blowout, thank you PAblue87 (sincerely). Although I can now appreciate the alternative position better, thanks to you, I would still personally resort to considering the best interests of baseball at such times.

I don't believe the best interests of baseball are served if a struggling team has their inadequacies ground into them. That's what happens if you don't take some action to stem the haemorrhage and salvage the losers some self-respect in the final score. These guys will get better, but not if they are hammered out of the game before they have that opportunity. No-one enjoys losing by a football score every week, and I know it has turned some players off the game altogether, including my son. That's bad for baseball.

By the same token, to be effective it must be done in a way that allows them the illusion that they ARE getting at least marginally better. Widening the zone surreptiously for one team is one way of achieving that goal. Now, following PAblue87's enlightening comments, I think I would have more regard to the part of the batting order that was coming through the batter's box, and whether they were recent substitutes. I'm not good enough to change the width of my zone from batter to batter, but I might be able to make a conscious adjustment between innings for the sake of the game. I'm talking about inches, not feet, by the way; benefit of the doubt on marginal pitches, etc.

Cheers,
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Thank You Warren,

I would also loke to mention that I do help out the team that is getting blown out. But I also havein the back of my mind the other team that have players on the field that are using this chance to catch a coaches eye.

Also, some of the onus has to go on the COACH of the team that is dishing out the blowout. He needs to make sure he is doing everything to not run it up. But, as a coach, one of the toughest things to do is to tell your non starters who are in the game to not play hard.

As I stated, when this happens at the lower levels the umpire can certsinly take some liberties to help the game along, and I certainly do that. However, at the Varsity level and above I find it hard to do. At this level, even though the team is getting pounded, I do not think their self esteem or love of the game is being altered. Maybe this is true in Little League or Pony.

I am not saying I am right,at least it is something to think about.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Smile RUNNING up the score

Quote:
Originally posted by PAblue87
Thank You Warren,

I would also loke to mention that I do help out the team that is getting blown out. But I also havein the back of my mind the other team that have players on the field that are using this chance to catch a coaches eye.

Also, some of the onus has to go on the COACH of the team that is dishing out the blowout. He needs to make sure he is doing everything to not run it up. But, as a coach, one of the toughest things to do is to tell your non starters who are in the game to not play hard.

As I stated, when this happens at the lower levels the umpire can certsinly take some liberties to help the game along, and I certainly do that. However, at the Varsity level and above I find it hard to do. At this level, even though the team is getting pounded, I do not think their self esteem or love of the game is being altered. Maybe this is true in Little League or Pony.

I am not saying I am right,at least it is something to think about.
From time to time in blowouts I have quietly suggested to the winning team that they dispense with stealing as a routine part of their game plan. This does not imply that on a passed ball the runners should not advance. I think that "running up the score" does not apply if there is a run-rule that the winning team is trying to achieve to end the game early. At the present time the FED 10 run rule does not apply in New York State. I think it should. Jim Simms/NYC
Old Mon Mar 26, 2001, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Out on Eastern Long Island, NY the schools are small and often have to play tougher schools without being competitive. This is evident at 7/8th grade levels. I've seen blowouts without the winning coaches "pulling back" (letting runners steal 2nd, 3rd, and home up by 15 runs). This only can lead to trouble. Fortunately, the losing coach in the case cited pulled his team before anything happened. The mercy rule is a good thing, it help in summer ball and should be adopted in the schools. Letting games go one for the sake of letting the kids play doesn't do anyone good.

I don't know where you guys live in NY, but I have done 2 scrimmages and a non-league game already, with more this week.
Old Tue Mar 27, 2001, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by edhern

I don't know where you guys live in NY, but I have done 2 scrimmages and a non-league game already, with more this week.

Edhern your on the Island thats like living in Florida (Grin!) for us upstaters. At this rate, it will be July before all the snow melts.

Pete Booth