The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Situation: OBR rules with modifications. I'm BU in the B slot. Dropped 3rd strike and the batter runs to first and is called out. On the throw to home to get R3 out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw him raise his arms up, the runner was about 2/3 of the way up the line. Second play, I was in C again and the catcher was up the line receiving the ball which dropped prior to the runner making contact with the catcher. Rules are either slide or get out of the way. Again out of the corner of my eye I thought R3 dropped his shoulder which I would of call interference IF I was the PU. My question is both of these were the PU call for interference and if he doesn't ask for help should of I motion for a conference with him? The catcher on the second play ended up going to the hospital for a possible separated shoulder. Thoughts???
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like the rules (OBR with slide/avoid contact) were put in place for incidents like this one... and this is something that definitely should have been reviewed during ground rules.

As you described it, it would be malicious contact; immediate dead ball, runner out, runner ejected.

Unfortunately, that's your partner's call. I'd be curious how some of the senior umpires would handle something like this in your case. With a half dozen years under my belt, I probably would have called time and conferred with my partner instead of an outright ruling.

Old Mon May 23, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I'd be bothering my partner with anything that I saw "out of the corner of my eye". Surely he, looking right at the play, had a better look than BU on both plays.
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

that is exactly what I was thinking. We did confer between innings and I mentioned what I thought I saw. Now another question....When or is it proper to help the PU without being asked?
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Only when there has been a misinterpretation of a rule, and a protest is being lodged. But do it away from everyone. Tell your partner what you think the rule is, then let him decide what to do. DO NOT give your opinion to anyone else.

Bob
Old Mon May 23, 2005, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mi-Umpire
Situation: OBR rules with modifications. I'm BU in the B slot. Dropped 3rd strike and the batter runs to first and is called out. On the throw to home to get R3 out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw him raise his arms up, the runner was about 2/3 of the way up the line.

If you're in the "B" and the runner is 2/3 of the way up the line how could you not see the runner raise his arms? If you're following the flight of the ball from catcher to first base and back to home you had to have seen this. That being said PU is in the best position to make this call.

Second play, I was in C again and the catcher was up the line receiving the ball which dropped prior to the runner making contact with the catcher. Rules are either slide or get out of the way. Again out of the corner of my eye I thought R3 dropped his shoulder which I would of call interference

This is not interference it's malicious contact as described above

IF I was the PU. My question is both of these were the PU call for interference and if he doesn't ask for help should of I motion for a conference with him? The catcher on the second play ended up going to the hospital for a possible separated shoulder. Thoughts???
As described above unless your partners asks for help don't offer any. These are his calls all the way.