LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I say and point!

Quote:
Originally posted by cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Just tell him play won't resume until he gats back to the base.

If the nonsense keeps up, send him home early.
Least in Fed ball where does it say that the runner has to be on the bag. He has to go back to his bag but does not have to be on it. As I recall it is pitcher on rubber, catcher down and batter in box is all that is required to put the ball back into play. If the runner is off the bag "by a mile" after a retag (if needed) and the ball is put back into play then he is liable to be played on and put out.

As far as saying play. Only at the start of a game and I have been taught to not point it in play to start a half inning. In actuality the ball is not dead in between innings. Under dead ball in the rule book, nowhere does it say that the 3rd out of the inning causes the ball to be dead, so why point it to become live when it already is?? I will only do it if a batter is still getting set and the pitcher is ready to pitch.
I always say play and point. The point is so my partner knows the ball is in play, the verbal "play" is for the batter and F2.

The only ones who hear me are the batter and F2.

State playoffs several years ago and 5-4 game. R3 and one out and winning team makes a pitching change.

I knew the losing coach was very agressive and I also knew he liked to try plays with a new pitcher.

Sure enough, as soon as the batter and pitcher were ready I point and say play and here comes R3.

I don't think the coach was actually waiting for me, but it did cross my mind, what if he had sent the runner a second earlier.

It was a dead ball and I would have had to send him back.

The runner was safe BTW and they ended up winning in extra innings.

But the story still reminds me of how important it is to do something, make sure your partner, F1 and you know when the ball is made live.

Thanks
David
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by goldcoastump

I have been doing fast pitch softball for years and this year I was talked into doing some pony baseball. Is it a dead ball when you hold your hand up as a plate ump to protect a hitter who is stepping into the batters box? This is not a factor in softball because the runner is restricted to the base. HELP!!

If yo are playing by FED rules it is specific

FED rule 5-1-1h, Ball becomes dead immediately when:

the umpire gives the DO NOT PITCH SIGNAL

Now the ball has to be put "live again" FED rule 5-1-4

After a dead ball, the ball becomes alive when it is held by F1 in a legal pitching position, B1 and F2 in their respective boxes and the Umpire calls "Play" and gives the appropriate hand signal.

Side Note: Actual Practice: While it is not necessary to call PLAY after every dead ball situation it is common to point to F1 to signal the ball is "live" again.

Why! The BU needs to know in case of a pickoff attempt by F1 It's embarrassing or imporper mechanics to negate a good play by F1 in getting R1 during a pickoff because the ball "technically" has not been put back in play.

That's why it also taught NOT to constantly call TIME needlessly in a game when the rules do not warrant it. Keep the game moving. Do not always put your hand up when the batter requests it. F1 has to allow some time to let B1 get set.

Pete Booth
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Bob,
I can't justify why I put ball in play every half inning, I just do. The verbal "play" denotes that the inning has begun.

As far as runners, this is very seldom a problem, but if it is after a long fly foul, then you give the runner the opportunity to return to a safe area near or on the base. As a coach I always taught my boys not to worry about always retouching the base after a foul ball in order to save energy. However, I reminded them that once the ball was put in play, they needed to be prepared for a possible pickoff.