The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 07:31am
goldcoastump

I have been doing fast pitch softball for years and this year I was talked into doing some pony baseball. Is it a dead ball when you hold your hand up as a plate ump to protect a hitter who is stepping into the batters box? This is not a factor in softball because the runner is restricted to the base. HELP!!
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

I believe that when an umpire gives the "Do not pitch" signal, no play can take place.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Yes - with your hand up you've called time. Remember to call "play" when the batter's ready.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Well,

The only time I say "PLAY" during a game is before the first pitch.

When you are in the "hand up time is out" situation most of
my partners (and 100% myself) just point at the pitcher then drop the hand.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

I know this isn't what your asking, but it may help.

I only give the do not pitch sign if the batter asks for time when trying to level out the dirt in the box or "digging in". If you hold up the "do not pitch" sign, the pitcher can't play on the runners. 90 percent of the time, the pitcher won't engage the rubber until he sees the batter in the box.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

Tim,
do you not verbally put ball back in play when runners are on base?
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

Re: Well,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

Well, I don't care if you say it or not, but at least gesture. There needs to be an overt act.

BTW, the pros in the Eastern League say "play" and do the point gesture (at least every time I've had seats close enough to the plate to hear them).
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

I say Play at the beginning of every half inning, after every dead ball with runners on base. After dead ball without runner, I only gesture to pitcher. I never put ball into play until three conditions are met. Batter in box, catcher down and ready and pitcher addresses rubber.

I VERY seldom hold up my hand when a batter is trying to landscape the box. I just stand up and wait. IF pitcher tried to start before batter is ready, then I put up hands and say "no pitch". Most pitchers will not start their motion until batter is ready. But I feel putting up the hand restricts the pitcher from making a play on a runner. Why take this opportunity away from him just because the batter has to reshape the dirt?

[Edited by scyguy on May 18th, 2005 at 10:46 AM]
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I should clarify, I put my hand up if the pitcher looks like he may pitch. If hes filling in a hole in the mound or watching a runner, I won't put my hand up.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
I say Play at the beginning of every half inning, after every dead ball with runners on base. After dead ball without runner, I only gesture to pitcher.
I'm curious as to why you say "play" at the beginning of each half-inning, but only point to the pitcher after a dead ball with no runners -- isn't the beginning of the inning an example of a dead ball with no runners?

(BTW, I'm not trying to start the old argument over when / whether the ball becomes dead at the end of a half-inning)
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

I simply point and say loud enough for the catcher and batter to hear, "the ball is live" or "we're live" or "here we go", since they are the only ones with their backs turned and cannot see me point to put the ball back into play.

Old Wed May 18, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

i've had a problem with this recently. after a foul ball or other such dead ball situations, i don't put the ball in play until we're supposed to.

often times the pitcher will straddle the rubber, and one of the runners will take a big lead to entice a throw. i've had to disallow 2 pickoffs b/c the ball was dead. now what would stop the runners from taking a VERY big lead and possibly stealing the next base knowing that the pitcher can't legally get them out without the ball being put back in play. do you tell the runner to "go back" or "don't take such a big lead"? how do you handle this?
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Just tell him play won't resume until he gats back to the base.

If the nonsense keeps up, send him home early.
Old Wed May 18, 2005, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Well,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

When you are in the "hand up time is out" situation most of
my partners (and 100% myself) just point at the pitcher then drop the hand.
After every dead ball, including holding my hand up in the do not pitch sign, I give a very deliberate head high point to the pitcher. The hand motion is like throwing a dart, but hand in the shape of a pistol. I don't remember saying anything lately.
Old Thu May 19, 2005, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Ives
Just tell him play won't resume until he gats back to the base.

If the nonsense keeps up, send him home early.
Least in Fed ball where does it say that the runner has to be on the bag. He has to go back to his bag but does not have to be on it. As I recall it is pitcher on rubber, catcher down and batter in box is all that is required to put the ball back into play. If the runner is off the bag "by a mile" after a retag (if needed) and the ball is put back into play then he is liable to be played on and put out.

As far as saying play. Only at the start of a game and I have been taught to not point it in play to start a half inning. In actuality the ball is not dead in between innings. Under dead ball in the rule book, nowhere does it say that the 3rd out of the inning causes the ball to be dead, so why point it to become live when it already is?? I will only do it if a batter is still getting set and the pitcher is ready to pitch.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.