The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

scyguy,

The only thing I worry about with my hands is that they are on my thighs and not on my leg guards.

I have Carlucci Extended Guards so that means that the "V" formed by my thumb and first finger is on my thigh.

[Edited by Tim C on May 14th, 2005 at 11:31 AM]
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

wow, you are far back. I will try to get further back my next JV game and let you know how it feels. 3' sounds like a long way back. Any coaches comment on the distance you are from the catcher?
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe,

See my upcoming article for answers to questions much like that . . .

Old Fri May 13, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Looking forward to it, Tim !!!

Doug
Old Fri May 13, 2005, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
wow, you are far back. I will try to get further back my next JV game and let you know how it feels. 3' sounds like a long way back. Any coaches comment on the distance you are from the catcher?
Unlike Tee, I don't judge my distance from the catcher. Rather, I start on the back line of the catcher's box (I pace it off after I dust the plate if it's not drawn in -- and it's never drawn in). I adjust forward a little if the batter is far forward in the box.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

A few comments!

Quote:
Originally posted by scyguy
Having been a knee guy for years, I switched two summers ago (gave me a summer to work on it) and its great.

I have been hit only a few times and that was with a bad catcher.

Like Tee, I put my hands on my knees so I do worry about being hit sometimes.

I have from time to time a coach ask me 'why are you so far back now' since they have seen me work before, but no comments but positive about the zone.

It allows me to be a lot more consistent with the low pitches. The first year I strugged from time to time with the high strike since it can change a lot from batter to batter, but with experience now no problems.

Comments: the fans love to say, "get up to the plate blue so you can see it."

But that just shows their ignorance. I have been working with most of our association to get back further from the catcher and so far the comments have been very favorable.

Thanks
David

Old Sat May 14, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

I have switched back from the GD to heel-toe in the slot. I had a hard time seeing the outside of the plate with taller catchers. Maybe my height (5'10) had something to do with it. I loved the stance, just felt like I was blocked someitmes. I never understood how backing up farther corrected getting blocked.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 09:47am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
I have switched back from the GD to heel-toe in the slot. I had a hard time seeing the outside of the plate with taller catchers. Maybe my height (5'10) had something to do with it. I loved the stance, just felt like I was blocked someitmes. I never understood how backing up farther corrected getting blocked.
It corrects it because you sit HIGHER.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

What I mean is this. Even if you stand straight up, when you move back you lose more area in front of the catcher. I guess taller catchers arent' as troublesome as those who really crowd the plate. If a catcher is close enough that I can't see part of the plate (usually when he sits up inside) then backing up only makes the plate disappear more for me.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Then,

You are doing something wrong.

I am 6'.

I worked behind a guy 6'5" and 240 lbs. the other night.

Not only can I always see the WHOLE plate I can see the sirt betwix the point of the plate and the catcher.

Old Sat May 14, 2005, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Then,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
You are doing something wrong.

I am 6'.

I worked behind a guy 6'5" and 240 lbs. the other night.

Not only can I always see the WHOLE plate I can see the sirt betwix the point of the plate and the catcher.

Tee, where is your head placement (vertically) compared to the catcher's head? For as far back as you say you stand it sounds like your head has to be pretty high to see the plate....
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

I started using the Gerry Davis stance at the beginning of last season. In 55 games at the plate I was only hit once in an area not protected. This year I've been hit twice in 16 games at the plate. I don't feel any more or any less protected than when I'm in the heel and toe position. I do take my hands off my knees and bring them about to my waist just about the time the pitcher releases the ball. It has helped my consistancy considerably. Mostly because I am set well before the pitch comes.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

What I don't understand is how some guys who work the GD from way back can still see the plate. I am assuming that their catchers are set way back also, and not close up to the plate. Professional catchers are not set up close to the plate, but non-pros are often set up too close. My definition of too close is too close to allow the umpire a good look at the plate. I like the GD stance but moving back only make sense if the catcher is back far enough from the plate to see the plate.
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

DG

You simply, don't get it.

No prob . . . you just aren't understanding . . .
Old Sat May 14, 2005, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Assuming you lock in at the same head height each time, backing up will not help you see more of the plate. It is a physical impossibility. You reduce the angle over the catcher to the plate by backing up and will therefore see less of it

Now you might get a better look at the ball somehow by backing up, but you will not actually see the plate better. It is not physically possible.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates