The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Yesterday, 1st year BU, almost gets hit right in the head by catchers throw to 2nd with R1 stealing.

My question is, what if it hit him?

LL & OBR Definitions.Interference (c) Umpire's interference occurs (1) When an umpire hinders, impedes or prevents a catcher's throw attempting to prevent a stolen base.

On any interference the ball is dead.

But I can't find in any rule set the reference as to where the runner goes.

Can someone help me out here?

Thanks!

Old Wed May 11, 2005, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Yesterday, 1st year BU, almost gets hit right in the head by catchers throw to 2nd with R1 stealing.

LL & OBR Definitions.Interference (c) Umpire's interference occurs (1) When an umpire hinders, impedes or prevents a catcher's throw attempting to prevent a stolen base.

Thanks!

Not interference. The rule applies only to the PU (since he is, by necessity, in close proximity to F2).
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks!

On umpire interference with the catcher it is delayed dead. If the runner is thrown out the interference is ignored. If not, interference is ruled and all runners return But that rule applies to umpire interference with the catcher while making a throw. If not, the runner returns. I have not seen a BU get hit by a thrown ball and I am not sure that is covered by the rules. The closest thing I could find is in J/R: "if a thrown or pitched ball touches an umpire the ball is live."
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thanks!
A Base Umpire can only interfer with a batted ball, not a thrown ball. If the BU is hit by a thrown ball, the ball is alive and in play. The BU, however, may not have the same luck if hit in the head.

Only the PU can interfer with a throw.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 06:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900

If the BU is hit by a thrown ball, the ball is alive and in play. The BU, however, may not have the same luck if hit in the head.

[/B]
Good one!

So, there is no case play or rule on this sitch.

Ball is in play!

OK! So rule of thumb is, get da He!! out a da way!

Thanks All!
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

If the rules provided for interference in that case, we would becomes targets. Ah! I hit the umpire in the head, runner is out.
Old Wed May 11, 2005, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
If the rules provided for interference in that case, we would becomes targets. Ah! I hit the umpire in the head, runner is out.
LMAO. True!

Could send runners back to base occupied at TOP!

But I get your point.

I just never saw or heard of a BU get hit by a thrown ball before.

Old Thu May 12, 2005, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

thumpferee,
Happened last week. First time I ever saw it happen. BU is in B and R1 breaks for 2nd on a passed ball. Catcher fires the ball to 2nd from about 10 feet to the 1st base side of the plate. Only mistake BU made was not letting the ball lead him to the play. He is facing 2nd base and poised to make the call when the ball plunks him right in the - you guessed it. Catcher's throw was hard and short of the base - right at my partner. Live ball until I call time when R1 stands up at 2nd base and my partner is looking for a hole to crawl into. Pretty hard to not laugh. This story is following my partner like ants to a picnic. Happy to share it with all here too.

The ball dropped right at BU's feet and no play was made after that. I left the ball live until I was sure no play was forthcoming. Then I called time to let the wounds ( physical and emotional ) mend.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

I was working an U-11 (Mustang level for all you PONY people) and was w/ a 16 yr. old newbie--first game ever. We had a pretty extensive pre-game, during which I was going over positioning and what not w/ him and told him that if a kid is trying to steal second, stay where you are in the B, and then once the ball passes you, pivot around and you're right in position. Well wouldn't you know it, 2nd inning, R1 tries to steal and before F2 throws the ball he steps right in the middle of the throwing line. F2 double pumps and ends up not even throwing the ball. Coach to the catcher right after the play: "Hit the Ump in the head next time, that'll teach him!"
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Acknowledging the humor of the situation, and aside from that, I hope you spoke to the coach. While embarrasing to have it happen, it happens. And having a coach tell his players to intentionally hit an umpire is unacceptable. I would emphatically advise him to remind his catcher that he was " kidding ". Or find a place in the parking lot to be comfortable.
I know we are telling a funny story here, but we cannot let a coach get away with that kind of stuff.
My humble opinion.
Sheffield Lake, Ohio
Old Thu May 12, 2005, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

I usually move to the cut out to make the call on a steal of second. One Junior Varsity game I saw that the catcher was a little wild. On a throw to second I was in B and just moved back and waited for the throw. I had to be at least 15 feet to the first base side of second. As I watch the throw I can't believe the ball is coming at me, at this level of baseball while I am nowhere near the bag. Sure enough it hits me because at that point I could get out of the way. We all had a good laugh and the coach advised the catcher that it is not a good idea to hit an umpire.

Ed H