The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question

No one on...F1 balks--what is the result? Both FED and OBR? I've always thought that it was a ball...but am I wrong?
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
OBR 8.05: "If there is a runner, or runners, it is a balk when..."

Without runners on there are no penalties for balk moves.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

OK..here's the sitch that spawned this. Watching a Varsity FED game today. F1, in windup, steps back to begin the windup, begins to pivot, then just steps off the mound. What do you have? Since it's FED, just a dead ball w/ no penalty (this is what the Us gave BTW)?
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

When the pitcher started his movement he was committed to deliver the pitch. His failure to do so resulted in an illegal pitch. It is not a balk because no runners were on base.

I left my rule books in car but you can find the definition of time of the pitch in Fed rule 2 (Pitch) and then find the penalty for the infraction in Rule 6.

It would be wise to study the definition of both balk and illegal pitch and how they are different/related so proper application can be made for the situation.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 11:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
OK..here's the sitch that spawned this. Watching a Varsity FED game today. F1, in windup, steps back to begin the windup, begins to pivot, then just steps off the mound. What do you have? Since it's FED, just a dead ball w/ no penalty (this is what the Us gave BTW)?
In Fed it is an illegal pitch when the pitcher commits an act that would be a balk with runners on, penalty is a called ball. In OBR it's "don't do that".
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:29am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Originally posted by tmp44
In Fed it is an illegal pitch when the pitcher commits an act that would be a balk with runners on, penalty is a called ball. In OBR it's "don't do that".
In OBR, it's NOTHING. Not even a "don't do that."

This is something that would not be called where I lived, BTW. We would just let the pitcher reset.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Consider this:

Case play 6.1.2a states that a pitcher in contact with the rubber in the windup starts his preliminary motion and drops the ball. The ruling states there is no infraction provided the pitcher delivers the ball within 20 seconds.

Dropping the ball with runners on = a balk. Is the ruling different for other pitching infractions?
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

As I have mentioned over the years:

FED not only has a rules book, a case book, and an umpire manual they also have the "Spring Newsletter".

The letter, published each spring for over 35 years, is a vehicle for FED to make interps that fail to reach the rule book or a play in the case book.

For years the FED Rule Book was called "Brad's Book." This reference was to Brad Rumble that held the position of "Editor" of the books. Brad placed his personal ideas into print in not only the rule book but also the "official" newsletters.

The "start/stop" wind-up ruling was a "Brad" ruling that was described first in the newsletter. The ruling has been in effect for at least 12 years. The ruling is based on the fact that the wind-up must be a "Continuous Movement".

A second, and equally troubling, decision is that if a pitcher selects to pitch from the set position EVEN WHEN NO RUNNER IS ON BASE that pitcher must still perform a "discernable" stop during the stretch or it is an illegal pitch.

And, in closing, FEDERATION has some peculiar rulings that have been influenced over the years by some odd sources.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

This brings up something the late Tug McGraw did during an actual MLB game. With no runners on (and to win a bet, I might add), he started into full windup and FELL DOWN. On purpose.

No balk was called. He won the bet.