The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
What can or can't a pitcher wear while pitching?

Ex. sweatbands. armbands, gloves, and what colors if any are legal/illegal

Could someone help me with this rule, I can't find my rulebook and don't remember the exact wording.
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Fed 6-2-1f He may not wear any item on hands, wrist, or arms that may be distracting to the BATTER. For sweatbands there is no illegal color.

I am not too picky until a batter complains. Then I have the pitcher remove the offending article.

Fed 6-2-1g tape, bandages, etc on pitching hand or palm that may come into contact withthe ball are illegal. The only substance a pitcher may apply to his hand/fingers is rosin.

Fed 6-2-1h Mitts that are white, gray, or Multi-colored are illegal for the pitcher to use.

Feb 6-2-1i undergarment sleeves that are white or gray are illegal. (this does not apply to uniform shirt)
Old Mon May 09, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
What can or can't a pitcher wear while pitching?

Ex. sweatbands. armbands, gloves, and what colors if any are legal/illegal

Could someone help me with this rule, I can't find my rulebook and don't remember the exact wording.
Since you did not say, let's talk FED. The pitcher may not wear "any items on the hands, wrists or arms that may be distracting to the batter". The pitcher may not wear a glove that is "white, gray or multi-colored". The pitcher may not wear "exposed undershirt sleeves that are white or grey". The sleeves of any player "shall be approximately the same length and not be ragged, frayed or slit".

For multi-colored gloves, black and brown or dark tan are close enough. Red, white and blue would not be. The penalty for wearing a multi-colored glove is to remove it from play in favor of one that is not. No 3 base awards for fielding a ball with an illegal glove. I have never had a complaint about a glove that was black and any shade of brown. Black and light tan could be considered multi-colored but I have not seen a glove of these colors on a pitcher.

Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl H. Long
Fed 6-2-1f He may not wear any item on hands, wrist, or arms that may be distracting to the BATTER. For sweatbands there is no illegal color.
Especially on the pitching arm I would make the pitcher remove white sweatbands or tape.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Game today, I noticed the pitcher wearing a batting glove. It did not look distracting to me. Second batter asks to have the glove removed. I asked him if it was distracting him and he said "well yes". I suspect he was just trying to get in the pitcher's head, so I asked the pitcher to remove the batting glove. Later in the game I noticed the pitcher for the other side had a white bandage about an inch wide on the index finger that was sticking out of his glove. A lot players have their index finger outside the glove. Nobody said anything so neither did I.