The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue May 10, 2005, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

Had this in a high school game last Friday.

First batter in top of 5th inning hits a screamer back toward pitcher who lunges toward first base line and snags the ball off the first bounce. He runs a few steps toward first and instead of taking the ball out of the mitt and throwing to the F3 who is covering first the pitcher deliberately removes his glove and throws it to F3.

I awarded the batter 2nd base (per 8-3-3b ie thrown ball touching detached player equip). Luckily the home team was ahead 10-0 so the only argument we got was they can do it in the major leagues.

OBR has specific language which deals with mitts coming off due to the force of a hit and so is not detached player equipment but neither OBR nor NF has such language about deliberately removing mitt with ball in it.

I have read everything in NF rule book dealing with detached player equip; NF 8-3-3, NF Rule 5 and table, etc and really find no support/non-support for my ruling.

In retrospect, just thinking of the philosophy of the game and the spirit and intent of rules and why penalties are given to remedy a situation I think I may in future just take the result of the play. I can not see how the batter was HARMED or put at a Disadvantage when the pitcher threw mitt with ball in it to retire the runner.

Your thoughts would be appreciated for both OBR and NF.