The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I posted this situation on another forum, so i'd like to hear your opinions too.

My partner called obstruction on this play. I'd like to hear all of your input on this.

R1 stealing on the pitch. Catcher throws the ball down to second. F4 and F6 are both near the bag, but F4 was the one taking the throw and F6 was a step or two off the bag toward third. The throw is high over their heads and sails into center field. R1 rounds the base (2 or 3 steps) and runs into F6. F6 goes down in a heap since R1 was much bigger and F6 was a scrawny guy. R1 trots back to the base as the throw from F8 comes in.

My partner calls obstruction on F6 and gives R1 third.

Is this the correct call under OBR?

Under FED?

Should this have just been a 'no call'?
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

There's no question this is obstruction in any rulebook.

The only question is whether to award 3rd or not - required by some rulebooks, umpire's judgement on whether he'd have made 3rd in others. Sounds likely that he'd have made 3rd (you said "Sails into CF"), but you'd HTBT to be sure.

Probably the right call.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Like MC said, different rulebooks carry different penalties.

OBR I believe you have to judge he would have been able to reach third (correct me if I'm wrong here guys, I may be).

FED, OBS carries a minimum of one base, he gets 3rd.
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
largeone59,

In reverse order of your questions:

1. No, this should not have been "no call". F6 Obstructed the runner and Obstruction is the correct call.

2. Under FED, an award of 3B (since the obstructed runner had already reached/passed 2B) is minimum and mandatory. Could award home in extreme cases.

3. Under OBR, it depends. This sounds like Type B obstruction in that no play was being made on the runner at the time he was obstructed. It depends on the umpire's judgement of what base the runner "would have" reached absent the obstruction. Possibilities are: leae him at 2B, award 3B, or, in the extreme case, award home. You'd kind of have to see it to make the proper judgement & it's possible that two different umpires might make different awards on an identical play.

JM
Old Fri May 06, 2005, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

I am going to be hard pressed to award 3B in OBR game, unless the CF fell down trying to back up the throw. In FED it is automatic one base award to 3rd.
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Am I wrong, but once obstruction was ruled to have occurred, that the obstructed runner would be entitled to at least one base ?
Old Sun May 08, 2005, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Carbide Keyman
Am I wrong, but once obstruction was ruled to have occurred, that the obstructed runner would be entitled to at least one base ?
Under FED rules, yes. Under ORB, no.