The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ump20
Question

I must admit I have not watched an inning of Spring Training so I have no personal opinion of the "new" strike zone. The article I read in Friday, March 16th's New York Post said that general opinion of the coaches and players, at least the hitters, was "There's not enough east-west contraction to go along with the north-south expansion." Oakland Manager Art Howe was quoted as saying, "I have no problem with the new zone, but I do have a problem with the wide zone. They're still calling the pitch off the plate for strikes. The hitters come back to the dugout and say 'That pitch was six inches outside.'"

I think this may have been discussed here earlier but we are fast approching opening day in the cold Northeast and perhaps we can look at the issue again. Just wondering what others' opinions are. Have your local associations discussed any adjustments in the strike zone for the leagues you officiate?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2001, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Not here, heck man we are still trying to find some clear space to throw baseballs that isn't covered by snow. I did read Jim Porter's article "Wider is Better", very good article about the LL strike zone and the spectator/coach perspective. I think it is appropo for most kid levels LL to age 15.