The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 04:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

I just wanted some opinions on this situation that happen yesterday.

I was working a college game yesterday in a two man system. I believe the bases were loaded. I was in the B position. There was a ball hit to right-center field. The center fielder did not catch the ball. The BR overran 1st base, but never really turned the corner. R1 was yo-yoing between first and second and was closer to first than second base. As the ball clearly was not caught, R1 was attempting to go back to 1st base. Then R1 took off for second base and reached second without a play. I did not have the best angle, but it did not look like at all that the BR turned the corner past R1. It looked mostly like the BR barely got past the foul line after running past the base (as if there was a play at first base).

Now I know what the rule is and that is not my question. I am asking a philosophy question. Would you consider the BR running past R1 in this case? Why would you call this an out? Why would you not call this out? I feel I called this right as to my philosophy, but I just want to know if others have their own ideas to what should be considered.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

My philosophy.

Between 1st and 2nd, forward is 2nd, and backward is 1st. For a runner to have passed another runner, he has to be farther forward (completely, not overlapping) than the other runner. Imagine a set of parallel lines like a football field between 1st and 2nd - if the back of the following runner is on a greater yardline than the front of the preceding runner, he's "passed" that runner.

Then, between 2nd and third, same thing, completely different orientation, turn the whole football field and all the parallel lines 90 degrees.

A buddy of mine sees it as a circle instead, with lines coming out from the pitcher's mound.

Since neither is in the book, either is defensible.

The runner you described did not pass in my book. Might be borderline in my buddy's book.
Old Fri Apr 29, 2005, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
I just wanted some opinions on this situation that happen yesterday.

I was working a college game yesterday in a two man system. I believe the bases were loaded. I was in the B position. There was a ball hit to right-center field. The center fielder did not catch the ball. The BR overran 1st base, but never really turned the corner. R1 was yo-yoing between first and second and was closer to first than second base. As the ball clearly was not caught, R1 was attempting to go back to 1st base. Then R1 took off for second base and reached second without a play. I did not have the best angle, but it did not look like at all that the BR turned the corner past R1. It looked mostly like the BR barely got past the foul line after running past the base (as if there was a play at first base).

Now I know what the rule is and that is not my question. I am asking a philosophy question. Would you consider the BR running past R1 in this case? Why would you call this an out? Why would you not call this out? I feel I called this right as to my philosophy, but I just want to know if others have their own ideas to what should be considered.

Peace
Draw a mental line between 1st and 2nd, then draw a mental line perpendicular to that line all the way to the fence. Put the runner along that perpendicular line (since he will most likely not be on the one directly from 1st to 2nd, and if the BR crosses that perpendicular line that moves with R1 then he has passed him.
Old Sat Apr 30, 2005, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Peruvian Send a message via Yahoo to Peruvian
Is this situation similar?

http://www.officialforum.com/thread/14499