The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 01:40pm
LeftyRef

OK guys, I've been working youth ball for a year now and I can't get a straight answer on how to effectively work the V. Could anyone give me some pointers from both BU and PU perspectives? Thanks.
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Lefty:

All I can tell you is what it means in "my" area of the world.

We use the terms "Big Cone" and "Small Cone" and "Big V" and "Small V" interchangably. They are only mentioned on fly balls.

For us it is very simple.

When the base umpire is in "B" or "C" he takes all catch/no catch in the "Big V" (i.e. Left and Right Fielder coming straight in or ANY catch that moves either of those positions towards Center Field.

This leaves the PU with F7 and F9 if they move towards either foul line.

The Base Umpire also takes all catch/no catch in the "Small V" (i.e. F6 and F4 coming straight in or moving towards the second base bag).

This leaves the PU taking all catch/no catch plays that takes F6 towards third base, all catches by F5, all plays that take F4 towards first base and all catches by F3.

Since my area has been moving towards CCA mechanics we no longer use this mechanic unless you are working with a "Super Big Dog" that can't learn new tricks.

I hope to he11 that this is the mechanic you are asking about!!!!!!!!!!
Old Thu Apr 28, 2005, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Also, with fly balls in the Big V, BU (generally) has touches of 1B and 2B (and tag-ups). To see all this, BU must back up into the mound area to see the catch/no catch, and the runners. PU has the touch/tag-up of 3B, and the play at 3B if R2 advances on a double tag-up (R1 and R2 at TOP, less than 2 outs).

Tim, which mechanic that you mentioned is no longer being used locally, but CCA mechanic instead? Do you mean the Small V, and what is the new (CCA) mechanic that you ARE using?