The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Tue Apr 26, 2005, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
Heres a situation I have seen a couple times, twice so far this year, that i cannot find a good answer to.

When should you call time and kill the play if during the action, a player is injured in some way?

Situation. Happened at a girls softball game. Pitcher delivers, ball is driven right back at her, hits her in the chest before she can get a glove up and she goes down. Runners were on base, they take off, catcher charges up, tossed the ball to third and then checked on her pitcher, who had the breath knocked out of her, but was okay. In the time span shes down, one run scores, coaches on the defense are raising hell saying play should have stopped when she fell down. Whats the right answer?

Make it boys baseball, FED or OBR. Pitcher gets dinged like that. When do you stop play?

Say a runner pulls a hamstring or his knee locks up rounding second and he goes down. Or he gets hit by an errant throw and is injured. When do you kill it?

I just want some reference, rules etc. to back myself up with when one of these situations occur. In my mind, since I'm calling Dixie right now, and really at any game I'm calling, HS or whatever, safety of the players is paramount over who wins or loses.