The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Slides in FED (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/19823-slides-fed.html)

LMan Tue Apr 19, 2005 02:16pm

can someone untangle this for me:

FED 2-32-1-2(f) " A slide is illegal if the runner, on a force play, does not slide on the ground and in a direct line between the two bases."

Sounds like he MUST slide here, and of course, the slide must be legal.

but elsewhere, FED states a runner is NEVER forced to slide, but if he does, the slide must be legal (8-4-2(b) note).

Since I cant see offhand how a slide NOT on the ground can be legal (or is even a slide at all), how can 2-32-1-2 (f) be interpreted to NOT require a slide (in contradiction to 8-4-2(b))? Isnt that what the FPSR is all about?

jicecone Tue Apr 19, 2005 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by LMan

FED 2-32-1-2(f) " A slide is illegal if the runner, on a force play, does not slide on the ground and in a direct line between the two bases."

but elsewhere, FED states a runner is NEVER forced to slide, but if he does, the slide must be legal (8-4-2(b) note).

Since I cant see offhand how a slide NOT on the ground can be legal (or is even a slide at all), how can 2-32-1-2 (f) be interpreted to NOT require a slide (in contradiction to 8-4-2(b))? Isnt that what the FPSR is all about?

THERE IS NO MUST SLIDE RULE.

In 2.32.2.2(f) If the runner DOES NOT slide on the ground, on a force play , in a direct line between the two bases, (Eg. At the fielder) then, the runner has committed an illegal slide.

The runner STILL has the option to NOT SLIDE, "but can not cause illegal contact or alter the actions of the fielder" See 8.4.2b

Read this again, I will admit it can be confusing.

tmp44 Tue Apr 19, 2005 04:39pm

HUH?

Quote:

Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:

In 2.32.2.2(f) If the runner DOES NOT slide on the ground, on a force play , in a direct line between the two bases, (Eg. At the fielder) then, the runner has committed an illegal slide.

The runner STILL has the option to NOT SLIDE, "but can not cause illegal contact or alter the actions of the fielder" See 8.4.2b

OK, I am confused after reading several times so I'm just going to straight out ask. R1 is coming from 1st to 2nd on a grounder to second. As the Double Play is being turned, R1 runs right through 2nd base, no attempt to slide. In this sitch, are you saying that there is no FPSR?

David B Tue Apr 19, 2005 05:01pm

Re: HUH?

Quote:

Originally posted by tmp44
Quote:

Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:

OK, I am confused after reading several times so I'm just going to straight out ask. R1 is coming from 1st to 2nd on a grounder to second. As the Double Play is being turned, R1 runs right through 2nd base, no attempt to slide. In this sitch, are you saying that there is no FPSR?

correct, as long as there is no alteration of play by the runner.

Now if R1 runs through and interferes with the play, knocks F6 down, hits his arm, makes him double pump etc., then you would have a violation of the FSPR.

But simply running through is NOT a violation.

The bottom line is if you slide - it must be a legal slide (rule 2) and it must be directly over the base or away from the fielder.

If you don't slide, then don't interfere and you will be okay. Interfere in any way and you and your BR are both out etc.,

Hope that helps, this can be kind of confusing at first.

Thanks
David

U_of_I_Blue Tue Apr 19, 2005 05:05pm

R1 has 2 options: 1) Don't Slide 2) Slide

1) If R1 by choosing not to slide in any way interferes in my opinion (wait, this means judgement on the part of the blue, some aren't capable of this), I've got an out on the BR. If he does nothing to interfere with the remainder of the play, there's nothing.

2) If he does slide, it must be directly at the base (some say this actually means directly at the base, others within an arms reach is ok). If he slides not in a direct line to the base and interferes with the play, then I have the BR out.

Don't have the rule book in front of me, but this is what I would do this second if I were calling the game.

-J

chuckfan1 Tue Apr 19, 2005 07:09pm

U_of_I_Blue:
An arms reach is not in "a direct line between the two bases".
The runner is to slide TO the base. Why is he sliding within arms reach? He is trying to interfere or break up the DP. Hence the FPSR. Actually its pretty easy to call. If you see the runner slide to the base, make sure he keeps his leg down.
If he slides on through, its only interference if he makes contact or alters the play.
If he slides to one side, and the fielder is on the same side, throwing on to first, you have a POTENTIAL FPSR violation. Should be leaning to the side of calling it.
Why? The runner is not supposed to be there, and hes going after the fielder. Call it. Your getting two outs, and although Rat will come out, he has no argument.
Plate Ump should be cleaning things up at 2nd on this, but Ive called it a couple times as Base Ump, it was so obvious.

U_of_I_Blue Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:11pm

Chuck, I agree with you, that it's directly to the base. I've had some argue with me, wrongly as you've noted, that as long as he's within reach of the base it's not a violation. It's another case MLB disease "I've seen it done on Fox's Saturday game of the week, that means it's legal here in high school as well."

-J