The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

FED Frosh game. R1 and a ball is hit up the middle and is gloved by the shortstop. He flips the ball to F4 who is on the left field side of second base. The ball, glove and the runner who has come into second base standing up all meet right on top of 2nd base. The runner reacher second at about the same time as the glove/ball did. Ball is jarred out of F4 glove.

Is this a FPSR violation?

[Edited by Kaliix on Apr 11th, 2005 at 12:38 PM]
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 08:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
FED Frosh game. R1 and a ball is hit up the middle and is gloved by the shortstop. He flips the ball to F5 who is on the left field side of second base. The ball, glove and the runner who has come into second base standing up all meet right on top of 2nd base. The runner reacher second at about the same time as the glove/ball did. Ball is jarred out of F5 glove.

Is this a FPSR violation?
First of all Kaliix, I hope F4 was playing second, because it a heck of a run for F5 to cover in time. (Typographical error?)

Without the book here, on a force play a runner must slide legally, in a direct line between bases. If the runner does not slide, they can not do anything to alter the play, which in your case did not happen. I have interference and two outs.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Well, I didn't call R1 out. I reasoned that 1) he was on the base (or got there at the same time) when the tag was applied and 2) he did not cause illegal contact as F4 was trying to tag him at about the same time he was reaching the base.

If he had slid, I likely would have called him safe (but I don't know for sure since he didn't and I'm having to determine this from memory). Is that kind of contact illegal, him getting to the base at the same time as the tag?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
Well, I didn't call R1 out. I reasoned that 1) he was on the base (or got there at the same time) when the tag was applied and 2) he did not cause illegal contact as F4 was trying to tag him at about the same time he was reaching the base.

If he had slid, I likely would have called him safe (but I don't know for sure since he didn't and I'm having to determine this from memory). Is that kind of contact illegal, him getting to the base at the same time as the tag?
Now it is begining to sound more like F4 dropped the ball making the tag. As I already stated on a force the runner has to slide or avoid altering the play however, he is entitled to get to the bag. I guess this is one of those "had to be there" situations.