The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Here's the situation, NFHS Rules: (I was not the umpire in this game, but the school I work at was involved)

2 outs, bottom 4th, runners on 2nd and 3rd. The home team sends up a pinch hitter for their catcher. The pinch hitter draws a walk, and the manager attempts to send in the"courtesy runner" for the batter-runner. The visiting coach protests to the plate umpire (an established, well respected veteran official) that this must be a pinch runner, since there can be no courtesy runner for a pinch hitter. The umpire asks the home manager and he is informed that the pinch-hitter will be going into the game to catch, so he should be entitled to a CR. The visiting manager again protests and the plate man goes to ask his partner (another veteran "Big Dog"). The base ump allows the courtesy runner, saying its only logical to run for the catcher with 2 outs. The visiting manager continues his argument on the contention that the batter-runner is not the catcher- he is a pinch hitter, and thus is not entitled to a CR. The base ump winds up ejecting the coach, and the remainder of the game is not a pleasant expirience for all those involved.

I very seldem umpire with NFHS rules, but my instincts led me to believe the visiting coach was correct- how can you have a courtesy runner for a pinch hitter who does not have a position. I looked this rule up in the Appendix to the Jaska/Roder Manual, and it says –very specifically- the CR cannot be permitted in this sitch. I don't have a current NFHS book, but I can't find a specific rule on this in the 2003 edition.

Does anyone know of any specific rule references for this scenario? Any help would be appreciated.
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JimGrillo
Here's the situation, NFHS Rules: (I was not the umpire in this game, but the school I work at was involved)

2 outs, bottom 4th, runners on 2nd and 3rd. The home team sends up a pinch hitter for their catcher. The pinch hitter draws a walk, and the manager attempts to send in the"courtesy runner" for the batter-runner. The visiting coach protests to the plate umpire (an established, well respected veteran official) that this must be a pinch runner, since there can be no courtesy runner for a pinch hitter. The umpire asks the home manager and he is informed that the pinch-hitter will be going into the game to catch, so he should be entitled to a CR. The visiting manager again protests and the plate man goes to ask his partner (another veteran "Big Dog"). The base ump allows the courtesy runner, saying its only logical to run for the catcher with 2 outs. The visiting manager continues his argument on the contention that the batter-runner is not the catcher- he is a pinch hitter, and thus is not entitled to a CR. The base ump winds up ejecting the coach, and the remainder of the game is not a pleasant expirience for all those involved.

I very seldem umpire with NFHS rules, but my instincts led me to believe the visiting coach was correct- how can you have a courtesy runner for a pinch hitter who does not have a position. I looked this rule up in the Appendix to the Jaska/Roder Manual, and it says –very specifically- the CR cannot be permitted in this sitch. I don't have a current NFHS book, but I can't find a specific rule on this in the 2003 edition.

Does anyone know of any specific rule references for this scenario? Any help would be appreciated.
This was a good one. I immediately thought that claiming the pinch hitter to be the catcher for the next inning would be a projected substition, but it took me awhile to find something in the book. 3.1.1 -"Projected substitutions are not allowed." I think this would be adequate to consider the pinch hitter just that, and not a substitute for the catcher. We would use the same rule to not allow a CR for the SS, "because he is going to pitch/catch the next inning."
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

3.1.1N "... a courtesy runner would only be allowed to run for the player who was the catcher on defense before coming to bat."

Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 07:22am
Official Forum Member

What happens if the hitter who is listed as the catcher gets on in the top of the first? Can a courtesy runner be used for him? If so, what do you do if the coach makes a defensive switch after that half-inning and that player is now the third-baseman? Do the same principles apply? If so, would it be fair to say there could be no courtesy runners in the top of any first inning? Enough questions?
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Illini_Ref
What happens if the hitter who is listed as the catcher gets on in the top of the first? Can a courtesy runner be used for him? If so, what do you do if the coach makes a defensive switch after that half-inning and that player is now the third-baseman? Do the same principles apply? If so, would it be fair to say there could be no courtesy runners in the top of any first inning? Enough questions?
The CR can be used for the listed catcher in the top of the first. There's no specific penalty listed for then changing catchers.

Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:37am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

3.1.1N "... a courtesy runner would only be allowed to run for the player who was the catcher on defense before coming to bat."

Yup. You can't CR for a pinch hitter. You can't project a defensive change in order to take advantage of the CR rule.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

If this PU was a "big dog" then he should of known this simple rule.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

However...had the coach then replaced the pitch hitter (now on first)with the catcher(whom he replaced)then the courtesy runner would have been allowed. The pitch hitter then would have been done for the rest of the game and the catcher would have used their one rentry.

NF 2005 Baseball Interpretations:
In the home half of the third inning, Team A’s catcher is legally pinch-hit for by S1. S1 draws a walk, and the coach legally re-enters the catcher. Now, with the catcher on first base, the home team’s coach requests and uses a courtesy runner for the catcher. RULING: This is a legal use of the courtesy runner.

I love easy ones!