The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 11, 2005, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Seadoggs5
How many of them have actually been to a 5 week camp? Fat Harry's Fantasy Camp or Jim Evan's clinic? Just curious to see who actually has some GOOD training behind them.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 05:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Seadoggs5
How many of them have actually been to a 5 week camp? Fat Harry's Fantasy Camp or Jim Evan's clinic? Just curious to see who actually has some GOOD training behind them.
So you think that you have to go to the Pro camp to be an umpire? Let me tell you a little something, some of the worst High School and NCAA umpires I've worked with are the ones that went to Pro School. They have attitudes and refuse to work the way the associations dictate. "I went to the school so I should know how to do it". Do some High School games and if you are good enough, graduate to NCAA. Then if you want, you can go to school.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Quote:
So you think that you have to go to the Pro camp to be an umpire? Let me tell you a little something, some of the worst High School and NCAA umpires I've worked with are the ones that went to Pro School. They have attitudes and refuse to work the way the associations dictate. "I went to the school so I should know how to do it". Do some High School games and if you are good enough, graduate to NCAA. Then if you want, you can go to school.
Got to agree with Ozzy on this. I am in no way discouraging attendance at camps however, some that go to camps too early, do get that "I know it all attitude". Never attended myself, which is my bad.

Once worked with a partner that told me about all the training and camps he had attented but, evidently forgot everthing on the first throw to second. PLOP, right in the back. Funny, but true story.
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 08:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Even Jim Evans recognizes that not everyone has the luxury of attending a five-week school. That's why he teaches the classics and also does weekend clinics for associations. One of which I attended in Seattle, which is where I assume you are based on your screen name.

I've seen some really outstanding umpires who have been to five week school and I've seen some outstanding umpires who haven't been to five week school. I've seen some pretty lousy, arrogant people who went to school and didn't make the best use of that training. Some of them may be in Seattle, too.

[Edited by Rich Fronheiser on Apr 12th, 2005 at 09:50 AM]
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

*reads the sign on the wall*

"Please, do not feed the trolls"

Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 09:06am
Official Forum Member

I went to Harry's and Umpire Development 15 years ago, coached baseball for 8 years on the HS level and am now in my first year back umpiring. Luckily, its' kinda like ridin' a bike!!!!!!!
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LMan
*reads the sign on the wall*

"Please, do not feed the trolls"

I think you may be on to something LMan: on another thread Seadogg seems not to be aware of the difference between "the knee" and the Scissors stance. Hmmmm......
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

The two worst things I can hear from my partner upon meeting him for the first time:

1) I've been doing this for 25 years.
2) I went to pro school a few years back.

Either of these, and I know I'm dealing with a self-important prick.

(Not saying going to these schools or working for 25 years makes you a prick.... I just know that if that is the most important thing a guy has to say when I'm first meeting him, I'm sure to be dealing with a royal screwup of his in our first game together.)
Old Tue Apr 12, 2005, 03:33pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Seadoggs5,
By reading you may be able to determine an answer to your imploration.
Resumes are not always as important as the product.
mick