The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

Had this yesterday evening:

R1, R3, BR hits a sure double in RF.
R3 scores, and R1 advances to 3B, rounds and goes down about half-way to home. F9 makes a good throw to F2.
R1 slams on the brakes and tries to retreat to 3B.
F1 had moved to a point about 15 feet from 3B, takes the throw from F2 and applies the tag after R1 had turned and started back to 3B, so a run-down did not develop.

BU had moved to a point about half-way between 'C' and 3B during this action, and I (PU) had moved about ten feet towards 3B.

When the tag was applied neither one of us initially made a call, which did not look very good. I pointed at BU and he just looked at me, so I made the out call, but I was straightlined on the play and could not really see it.

In reporting this sitch fairly and accurately, I must confess that I was running late to the game (traffic accident with detour) and got to the field about ten minutes before start time; we did not have much of a pre-game meeting.

Finally, my question: Whose call is this to make?

We did discuss this play after the game and he said that that was my call to make, and I said that it was his call. His reasoning was that he was taking BR on any play at 2B or 3B, and my reasoning was that R1 had retreated back and was tagged only about 20-25 feet from 3B.

Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

3D

With correct mechanics the BU would have retreated to the area behind the mound (called at times, "the magic spot", "the safety spot", etc.) in case the BR had decided to take off for second.

This would mean that the call defaults to the PU.

This is how things are taught at clinics such as The Evans Desert Classic.

Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you....

for your timely reply. I have only been to locally run clinics and this sitch has never been presented.

FWIW, the BU said that he did in fact see the tag so the call was correct.

As a follow-up question, what would be the proper BU/PU mechanics if a run-down did develop between 3B and Home?
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dddunn3d
Had this yesterday evening:

...Finally, my question: Whose call is this to make?

...His reasoning was that he was taking BR on any play at 2B or 3B, and my reasoning was that R1 had retreated back and was tagged only about 20-25 feet from 3B.
I don't know about your partner but I think this is kind of a cop-out answer. The ball is required to make a play and it appears that he was obviously watching the ball and the ensuing run-down play. He was likely not watching anything to do with the other runner.

I would say it probably looks a lot better if the call is made by the umpire closest to the play or the umpire to whom the play is getting closer. I'm looking in the Umpires manual to see if I can find better guidance.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Here's what I found....

Under Game Situations
(15)RUNDOWNS. The best coverage for rundowns is by both umpires, one at each end of the play. When the situation allows both umpires to work a rundown, talk with your partner to let him know what you are covering. The call should be made by the umpire toward whom the runner is coming. This shows good teamwork and looks good to everyone.

My original answer was assuming a rundown situation.

Without the rundown, after the first runner had scored and I (PU) saw an impending play at third, I would be moving toward the library (the waiting area in foul territory, 2/3, or more, of the way to 3rd). Subsequent play near 3rd would be my call and your partner, as he said, should be watching the other runner.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

If BU has trailing runners, PU must take runner into 3B on run-down. As BU I have a BR that is rounding first trying for second. If a throw is into 2B, I better be in position to make a call. What if BR got into a run-down between 2B and 1B and I was trying to take the 3B side of the rundown between 3B and home? Who would make that call? As you can see, my responsibility as BU is the BR.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I'd say that would be the BU call. PU must stay near home as the runner was on his way home, the throw was on its way home and had the runner not stopped, the throw wouldn't have been cut and there would have been a play at the plate. BU should certainly have been in position to make a call at 2B, so he certainly should have been able to see the tag at 3B.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Please stop and think about this:

We had the standard play of R1 and R3.

In all mechanics the PU is still going to take R1 into third (he will glance over his shoulder as the original R3 scores)if there is a ball and runner.

You have two umpires.

As SOON as the BU recognizes that the BR has rounded first base HE MUST RETREAT TO AN AREA NEAR THE MOUND. The BU must be in a place to gain "some" distance but mostly angle if the Batter runner wants to advance to second.

Think of it this way. Would you rather have two umpires covering TWO possible plays or two umpires covering ONE play.

Once the batter runner has rounded first base the runner at third is the responsibility of the PU. Period.

It is not the BUs call.
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

So orioles, if I'm BU and my focus is the possible play at 3rd, what if the runner plows over the catcher, MC is called, dead ball, who is going to determine where the BR was at the time of contact? PU must assume both ends of the rundown, BU must stay with BR!!
Old Wed Apr 06, 2005, 03:51pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Here's what I found....

Under Game Situations
(15)RUNDOWNS. The best coverage for rundowns is by both umpires, one at each end of the play. When the situation allows both umpires to work a rundown, talk with your partner to let him know what you are covering. The call should be made by the umpire toward whom the runner is coming. This shows good teamwork and looks good to everyone.

My original answer was assuming a rundown situation.

Without the rundown, after the first runner had scored and I (PU) saw an impending play at third, I would be moving toward the library (the waiting area in foul territory, 2/3, or more, of the way to 3rd). Subsequent play near 3rd would be my call and your partner, as he said, should be watching the other runner.
All of this is irrelevant, because the situation does not allow both umpires to work the rundown. The BU is responsible for the BR. What if there is a snap throw to second -- should the base umpire guess at that call from the vicinity of third base just so he can "help" with the rundown?