The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Question

I have done a number of games this year and I see this situation happening from time to time...

Runner on 1st, no outs. Batted ball goes to SS and flips easily to 2nd. The throw goes to 1st.

The question comes as to where is the proper positioning for the base umpire to get the call correct at 2nd and the correct angle at 1st.

Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

As,

It is taught that the base umpire in "B" will step forward as the ground ball is hit. He will then pivot with his chest towards the ball and follow the toss to the second base bag.

As the force out is being made at second the base umpire starts towards first base in a direct line angling towards the 45' line to get a more clear look at first base (using the cross over step), he keeps his eyes on the ball as it passes him as it head towards F3.

At this time the Base Umpire reads the throw (as the ball is in the air the BU announces "OUT" assuming it was a successful force at second)and as the ball passes him he STOPS and completes the pivot to pick up the play at first base.

If the umpire has read that it is a good throw he moves his eyes to the base and listens for the ball hitting F3's glove.

During the play the Plate Umpire is to move out to a position in the infield on the Third Base side of the mound. The Plate Umpire is responsible for the end of the Forced Play Slide Rule and the ensuing contact with the pivot man.

Let me make this clear . . . if illegal contact occurs before or while the pivot is being made it is the BU's call . . . if the contact is after the pivot man's throw it is the PU's call.

Things NOT TO DO during the process:

The Plate Umpire cannot stay behind the plate and watch. He also cannot leave the plate area too early as he needs to make sure of a clean momvement of the BR towards first base.

The Base Umpire should never, ever say, "Out at 2 and safe at One" or ANY style of this language. You say "safe" or "out" --

Because of the basic mechanic the base umpire really needs to take the swipe tag and pulled foot by himself. If the PU is out to help on the safety issue of the FPSR it is important that the BU be ready to make adjustments to cover any activity at first base.

-----

In closing:

NO, it is NOT a mechanic for the PU to come out and make the call at FIRST BASE on that end of the double play.

It is not done, period!

21st Century mechanics or not . . . it is not done.

[Edited by Tim C on Mar 24th, 2005 at 12:04 PM]
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bdub712
I have done a number of games this year and I see this situation happening from time to time...

Runner on 1st, no outs. Batted ball goes to SS and flips easily to 2nd. The throw goes to 1st.

The question comes as to where is the proper positioning for the base umpire to get the call correct at 2nd and the correct angle at 1st.

My first direction is to head to the cutout of the mound. First base side, no futher than the pitching plate. Pivot and open my self to watch SS field the ball and release to 2nd.

Watch F4 and action as best as possible and then look for release of ball to 1B. After watching release I try to get at least one step or more towards first and /or line, get set, look at base and listen for catch. I generally let the runner get 5-10 feet past the bag and then make my call.

Don't get to close to first and lose the whole picture. This is especially true when there is a bad throw and a tag to follow. Also be prepared to drift to the foul line if necessary to adjust for a pulled foot by F3.

If in doubt what to do on most all infield plays, head to the area around the mound and open yourself to the ball and play. From there, you will at least start out equi-distance to all the bases.

Good point by Tee that I missed, Read the throw to first.

[Edited by jicecone on Mar 24th, 2005 at 12:01 PM]
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: As,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
It is taught that the base umpire in "B" will step forward as the ground ball is hit. He will then pivot with his chest towards the ball and follow the toss to the second base bag.

As the force out is being made at second the base umpire starts towards first base in a direct line angling towards the 45' line to get a more clear look at first base (using the cross over step), he keeps his eyes on the ball as it passes him as it head towards F3.

At this time the Base Umpire reads the throw (as the ball is in the air the BU announces "OUT" assuming it was a successful force at second)and as the ball passes him he STOPS and completes the pivot to pick up the play at first base.

If the umpire has read that it is a good throw he moves his eyes to the base and listens for the ball hitting F3's glove.

During the play the Plate Umpire is to move out to a position in the infield on the Third Base side of the mound. The Plate Umpire is responsible for the end of the Forced Play Slide Rule and the ensuing contact with the pivot man.

Let me make this clear . . . if illegal contact occurs before or while the pivot is being made it is the BU's call . . . if the contact is after the pivot man's throw it is the PU's call.

The Plate Umpire cannot stay behind the plate and watch. He also cannot leave the plate area too early as he needs to make sure of a clean momvement of the BR towards first base.

The Base Umpire should never, ever say, "Out at 2 and safe at One" or ANY style of this language. You say "safe" or "out" --

Because of the basic mechanic the base umpire really needs to take the swipe tag and pulled foot by himself. If the PU is out to help on the safety issue of the FPSR it is important that the BU be ready to make adjustments to cover any activity at first base.

-----

In closing:

NO, it is NOT a mechanic for the PU to come out and make the call at FIRST BASE on that end of the double play.

It is not done, period!

Put me down for what Tee said....

Lawrence
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Re: Re: As,

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence_Dorsey
Quote:

-----

In closing:

It is not done, period!

Put me down for what Tee said....

Lawrence
I agree with Tee but for me on the move to get into position at first it is a drop step, cross over and come set hands on knees. Also for me, if the DP is successful I give a punch out on the out at first. Even if the runner is out by a step or step and a half I still punch it as it is a "big" out.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Hey Jim,

By reading your post it appears that you get only about one step towards the play at first.

Is this correct?
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hey Jim,

Quote:
By reading your post it appears that you get only about one step towards the play at first.

Is this correct?
I tend to take a deeper drop to the mound cutout then most and from the "B" position I will automatically end up on the first base side. A couple of steps twoards the foul line gives me good distance to see everything including the pulled foot and is not so far, that it looks bad.

This has helped me to become more stationary as the play at first happens. I reacte to the ball off the bat, just as a fielder. As I am tracking the ball, I am pivoting and backpeddleing at the same time. By gettin to the mound area first, it is only a couple of steps twoard any base and you can be right there.
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Hey Jim,

Quote:
Originally posted by jicecone
Quote:

Is this correct?
I tend to take a deeper drop to the mound cutout then most and from the "B" position I will automatically end up on the first base side. A couple of steps twoards the foul line gives me good distance to see everything including the pulled foot and is not so far, that it looks bad.

This has helped me to become more stationary as the play at first happens. I reacte to the ball off the bat, just as a fielder. As I am tracking the ball, I am pivoting and backpeddleing at the same time. By gettin to the mound area first, it is only a couple of steps twoard any base and you can be right there.

Tee:

I think that's a "yes".
Old Sat Mar 26, 2005, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Hey Jim,

Quote:

Is this correct?
No usually 3.

Drop step - 1
cross over - 2
come set - 3
unless you are considering this in a different light then I do?

I also do set up probably a little closer to the plate/mound then some people. At camp they said half way between the rubber and 2nd. I am ususally in a little bit more than that. Keeps me on my toes from getting hit for certain.

As well, at 6'5", 3 of my steps are probably about 4 or 5 for most people.

Old Sun Mar 27, 2005, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Mmmmm,

To the Two Jims:

I guess I was surprised that both of you seem to do basically the same moves and only gain a small amount of distance during the double play.

AND I did not realize one of you are 6' 5" -- that could make a difference.

As I described originally I:

Step up when the ball is hit,

Turn with my chest to the ball until I am facing the second base bag. (It matters here what the exact play at second is at this time because sometimes I am already "opening the gate" to head towards first base) The only thing I make sure of is that I am set and not moving when the ball is to the pivot man,

As the throw is released I keep my eyes of the ball (reading the throw) and make AT LEAST three cross over steps towards the play at first.

I then make sure I am stop and react as necessary to the throw and the movements of the player making the play at first base.

When I make the call (for example if it is an "out" call) and then move to an even more advantagous angle and distance by the end of the call of "out!"

At the end of the second half of the double play I am usually no more than 15' from the first base bag with a proper 90* angle.

Is this how you guys do it?
Old Mon Mar 28, 2005, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

At a camp I was at recently they taught...

Step up (towards home) with the foot closest to the ball,

Then pivot so you have "belly to the ball"

Follow through with the other actions described by Tee.

At first I didn't like this stepping away from the play at 2nd. And making that step with the foot closest to the ball seemed counter intuitive... now I've got it. They didn't explain it well at the camp, or I missed it.

Yes, the "step-up" is AWAY from the initial play at 2nd but it is TOWARDS the proper and final position (to get the good angle) at 1st.

In the play first described F6-F4-F3, BU at position B, the first step towards home with the right foot is away, distance-wise, from 2nd. But the subsequent pivot towards the ball on that right foot gains you the needed angle for the play at 2nd. And the initial step also got you closer to the half-way point of the 1st baseline (end of the 45 foot line) for the proper angle to make the call at 1st.

Alone, the initial step seems counter-intuitive. In the big picture - smart move!
Old Thu Mar 31, 2005, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Re: Mmmmm,

Quote:
To the Two Jims:

I guess I was surprised that both of you seem to do basically the same moves and only gain a small amount of distance during the double play.

AND I did not realize one of you are 6' 5" -- that could make a difference.

As I described originally I:

Step up when the ball is hit,

Turn with my chest to the ball until I am facing the second base bag. (It matters here what the exact play at second is at this time because sometimes I am already "opening the gate" to head towards first base) The only thing I make sure of is that I am set and not moving when the ball is to the pivot man,

As the throw is released I keep my eyes of the ball (reading the throw) and make AT LEAST three cross over steps towards the play at first.

I then make sure I am stop and react as necessary to the throw and the movements of the player making the play at first base.

When I make the call (for example if it is an "out" call) and then move to an even more advantagous angle and distance by the end of the call of "out!"

At the end of the second half of the double play I am usually no more than 15' from the first base bag with a proper 90* angle.

Is this how you guys do it?
You got it Tim. I guess maybe since I am already moving away from 2B I never really considered how many steps I am taking overall. I just know as I am calling the out at second I usually have time for my footwork above. I just know I have that same angle as you within a degree or 2.