The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Switch hitting rule (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/19081-switch-hitting-rule.html)

Cougar Sat Mar 12, 2005 04:25pm

I have a simple rules question. We faced a kid who is a switch hitter today and he was far better right handed than left. Because of this, twice after he had gotten two strikes on him batting left handed, he switched to the right side.

After the first time we questioned the umpire if this was legal and he said yes, but we could tell he wasn't really sure. Because this was a "friendly" pre-season scrimmage game we didn't push the issue.

I have since done a quick look through the MLB rule books but don't seem to find anything on this subject.

Can anyone direct me to the rule on whether or when a batter can switch sides during his at bat?

If you can do it after two strikes, we have a right handed kid who is so fast that we will have him bat left and bunt for a double unless he has two strikes and then move to the right side and hit away!!

Seriously, if anyone can direct me to the rule on this I would appreciate it so we can make sure we are teaching the kids the right thing.

LDUB Sat Mar 12, 2005 05:42pm

He can switch boxes between pitches. He can't switch when the pitcher is ready to deliver the ball, the penalty is the ball is dead and the batter is out.

Rich Ives Sat Mar 12, 2005 05:51pm

<i>6.06 A batter is out for illegal action when_
b) He steps from one batter's box to the other while the pitcher is in position ready to pitch;</i>

Note that ther is only one limitation - pitcher ready to pitch.

DG Sat Mar 12, 2005 09:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Cougar
I have a simple rules question. We faced a kid who is a switch hitter today and he was far better right handed than left. Because of this, twice after he had gotten two strikes on him batting left handed, he switched to the right side.

After the first time we questioned the umpire if this was legal and he said yes, but we could tell he wasn't really sure. Because this was a "friendly" pre-season scrimmage game we didn't push the issue.

I have since done a quick look through the MLB rule books but don't seem to find anything on this subject.

Can anyone direct me to the rule on whether or when a batter can switch sides during his at bat?

If you can do it after two strikes, we have a right handed kid who is so fast that we will have him bat left and bunt for a double unless he has two strikes and then move to the right side and hit away!!

Seriously, if anyone can direct me to the rule on this I would appreciate it so we can make sure we are teaching the kids the right thing.

If he is far better as a right handed batter than left handed then he is not a switch hitter, he just thinks he is. He should bat right handed. And I realize that's not what was asked. The answers that precede cover that.

Cougar Sun Mar 13, 2005 09:10am

Response to DG

First, thanks to everyone who cited the rule regarding my question. I appreciate it.

As for your comment DG about the kid not being a switch hitter, I don't want to be an A** to you, but if you knew that wasn't what I was asking, why did you respond?

The kid doesn't play for me and we see him maybe 3 to 4 times per year in tournaments, etc. It's his coaches/parents issue whther he should be batting left handed or not. (Truth be told he is a passable left handed hitter, and an extremely good right handed hitter)

Back to my point though, this was the first time I had read or posted to this forum. I have read and posted to other forums for years but most of them end up the same. Every guy who can distinguish between a baseball and a grapefruit has to post comments which aren't relevant and to be honest, it becomes tiresome and drives people away from the forum.

So DG, if your reply is typical of this forum and what I should expect, I will delete this forum's bookmark right now.

Sorry, to go off like this, but having to see the proof (again) of the old adage, "Opinions are like a--holes, everybody has one." just really broke down my sense of decency.

Mike Goble Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:28am

I thought there was a Grapefruit League....

bluezebra Sun Mar 13, 2005 02:32pm

Cougar could be a poster boy for the "Anal Retentive" section in Psych 101.

Bob

Tim C Sun Mar 13, 2005 04:02pm

Hmmm,

Sqeak, squeak, squeak.

DG Sun Mar 13, 2005 05:15pm

Re: Response to DG

Quote:

Originally posted by Cougar
First, thanks to everyone who cited the rule regarding my question. I appreciate it.

As for your comment DG about the kid not being a switch hitter, I don't want to be an A** to you, but if you knew that wasn't what I was asking, why did you respond?

The kid doesn't play for me and we see him maybe 3 to 4 times per year in tournaments, etc. It's his coaches/parents issue whther he should be batting left handed or not. (Truth be told he is a passable left handed hitter, and an extremely good right handed hitter)

Back to my point though, this was the first time I had read or posted to this forum. I have read and posted to other forums for years but most of them end up the same. Every guy who can distinguish between a baseball and a grapefruit has to post comments which aren't relevant and to be honest, it becomes tiresome and drives people away from the forum.

So DG, if your reply is typical of this forum and what I should expect, I will delete this forum's bookmark right now.

Sorry, to go off like this, but having to see the proof (again) of the old adage, "Opinions are like a--holes, everybody has one." just really broke down my sense of decency.

My intent was to provide a humurous anecdote about something you brought up. If this bothered you so much you may be too sensitive for this site.

LMan Sun Mar 13, 2005 05:53pm

Cougar - get over yourself ;) Your bookmark will burn up and float away if you cant handle such a tiny little poke. How can you coach like that? Ahh, sorry, dont answer that :)

bluezebra Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:14pm

"Sorry, to go off like this, but having to see the proof (again) of the old adage, "Opinions are like a--holes, everybody has one." just really broke down my sense of decency."

That reminds me of another old adage: "It takes a t..d to know an a..hole".

Bob