The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Hey all,
I posted a while back that I'm picking up baseball this summer (I've worked basketball for 5-6 seasons). I'm looking at starter packages to get my feet wet and see how I like umpiring (ie, I'm looking to not spend a fortune). What things should I look for? Are there any options that are not "fashionable" as in I'll look like a new guy that just bought from the catalog if I show up wearing them. If you happen to have a specific starter package you'd recommend, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

Junker

I too am picking up baseball for the first time this year and have been looking to get eqiupment. I recieved a catalog from +POS and had everything picked out that I wanted to order. I called them and started to order, and the very first item the mask was on backorder. I said I would call back. I got on Honigs internet sight and started my shopping all over again and decided that I would order everything but my protector from them and order a +POS protector. So I called +POS back and gave them the item number, guess what backordered 3 weeks I just hung up. I called Honigs and in 10 minutes had everything that I wanted and even ended up with there new K1 protector and only spent about $25.00 more than I would have at +POS. The best part of all is that I called in the order on Tuesday at about 2:00 pm and had the equipment on Thursday at noon. GREAT SERVICE. Just a word of caution though I wear Honigs basketball pants in a size 34 waist. I ordered there combo baseball pants in the same size and they are to small. I just called them back told them my problem and I will have different pants by Monday and they just told me to ship the wrong pants back and they would take care of everything else. I have always used Honigs for my basketball gear and after this I will never use anyone but them in the future for any other gear as I am also getting my football liscense this year. As an aside to all of this Officials Choice charges this high shipping charge on all items. Honigs charged me $6.95 shipping for my total baseball order.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

When I bought all my equipment for my first season, four years ago, I went with +POS for all of my plate gear. I didn't have a problem with delivery, however, I ordered well in advance (early February). That being said, my current plate gear is a mixed bag of my original +POS shin guards, a Honigs K1 chest protector and this year, a new Wilson Dyna-Lite mask. It all comes down to personal preference. Be careful with 'starter-kits'. You don't want to have to replace anything if you work different levels or if the equipment is not durable. Good luck

IG3
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 06:47pm
M.A.S.H.

Exclamation E-mail

Junker, sent you an e-mail.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Hey all,
I posted a while back that I'm picking up baseball this summer (I've worked basketball for 5-6 seasons). I'm looking at starter packages to get my feet wet and see how I like umpiring (ie, I'm looking to not spend a fortune). What things should I look for? Are there any options that are not "fashionable" as in I'll look like a new guy that just bought from the catalog if I show up wearing them. If you happen to have a specific starter package you'd recommend, I'd appreciate the advice. Thanks in advance.
I would recommend the Honig's Elite Equipment Package ($230) and maybe substituting a single bar mask. Thats just personal preference and the Honig's Uniform Package. That will get you started. I am a huge Honig's guy, so hope this helps.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help everyone. I've never worked anything but slow pitch softball in leagues I've played in (usually umped with a beverage of choice in one hand) so I was concerned with getting the correct equipment.
Old Mon Mar 07, 2005, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

You'll probably have to forgo the beverage during your baseball games. Surely there will be some games when that beverage will be sorely missed.

Oh well, there is always after the game.

Best of luck with your new avocation!