The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   The Lineup Card -- Your Friend? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/18871-lineup-card-your-friend.html)

Tim C Wed Mar 02, 2005 03:37pm

The Lineup Card -- Your Friend?

In another thread BJ Moose has asked for my secret formula for keeping an accurate and clean line up card.

First, a little background:

Both BJ and I have seen the same issues. When we keep our card it looks little a grade school level card after milk break. We have terrible writing skills, bent and dirty paper and about half the subs actually listed in the correct postions.

BJ and I both have seen the "other side" of the coin. We have had partners that take freakin' FOREVER to make changes and drives us nuts!

So here is the new and improved, "TEE Approved" method that will make your life much more simple.

First:

For this illustration we are going to assume that you receive cards that: 1) Have the subs listed, 2) is big enough to write on (I was once given a lioneup card that was EXACTLY the same size as a postage stamp).

Step One:

After you have received and confirmed the cards and (hopefully) the subs are identified by name and number you are ready for

Phase I --

Phase one is done one card at a time -- when the first team comes out for the initial warmup pitches take out one card and simply identify each sub with a letter of the alphabet (A, B, C, D are examples for low level JV umpires that may already be confused)- that is all that is needed. At the next half inning do the same to the other card.

Step Two:

When you have a sub, simply step away from the plate, make a single line through the name of the player that is being replaced and place the letter of the specific sub next to that player. Make sure that you completely cross out the sub's name and You're Done -- fini -- over! You're done.

Step Three:

When the starter returns make an "X" through the letter of the replacement. (Some like to write the inning this occurs on the card -- up to you). Now you know that the original starter is back in the game for the final time. We also know that the sub has completed their opportunity to play.

Step Four:

When another sub comes out for the original player we know now that when that move is made the original player is no longer able to participate. What we do on the second sub is to, again, list the letter of the new sub and completely cross out the name of the original starter. We go down and make a scratch line on the name of the sub listed below.

So when you write this is sounds busy. It is not -- your original notes (listing letters of the alphabet) is done under no pressure before the start of the game and all subsequent moves are writing just a letter or making a scratch line. It is fast, clear and easy to read.

Now a few of hints:

If the subs do not have numbers take a second when the sub checks in to write his number near his name on the card. It may help if something weird happens.

Also, NEVER cross out a name to the point you cannot read it. I simply but one line through a starter the first time he is replaced and a second line when he is replaced for the final time -- I also put a single line through sub names.

WHY? may you ask. You never know when you may need to write some type of post game report and it is much, much better to have both name and number of someone listed (i.e. "Smith - #22 - for Colfax was involved in a shoving match after the game which resulted . . . ").

NEVER accept subs in advance. You know the coach that walks past and says, "This inning I'll have #9 batting for #7 and #13 for #11 and #11 will re-enter!" Don't do it . . . not only is it against the rules it causes huge problems when a team "bats around."

WHENEVER a pinch hitter remembers to report always step away from the plate and BEFORE you note the change on your card holler to the head coach, "Is this what you WANT?"

This small step will alert everyone to the change and allow the coach to confirm what is happening.

This system is clean, fast and accurate.

[Edited by Tim C on Mar 2nd, 2005 at 06:18 PM]

fwump Wed Mar 02, 2005 04:22pm

Tee,

That's probably the best advice I've had all this year. As you might know from earlier posts, I began doing HS this season. You won't believe some of the "methods" that have been suggested to me by various partners re the line up cards.

Your post is the most logical and simple method I've heard so far.

It was one of the areas that I was most nervous about.

BIG HELP

Thanks,

Mike

bluezebra Wed Mar 02, 2005 06:42pm

"(I was once given a lioneup card..."

Was this a game between the Cougars and the Pumas?

Bob

tjones1 Fri Mar 04, 2005 06:54pm

Good stuff Tim. I know one thing that I need to work on is slowing down when getting subs. I usually rush cause I feel like I'm holding up the game. Something I'm going to break this season! ;)