The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

After playing for more years than I think I want to remember, I've finally hung up the spikes and turned to umpiring high school and travel/rec leagues. Unlike soccer which I've refereed for a decade this umpiring deal requires a LOT of gear. So far I've picked up everything but I really need some guidance on plate shoes.
I'm looking between the Tanel and the Honigs. If I go low-tops, will the leg guards extensions protect against catcher's spikes and balls drilled into the ground or should I look at high tops?
Also, I'm very impressed with the Tanels. Am I missing something? Is there something in the + Pos shoes or the Nautilus type that should turn me in that direction?
Thanks for the help!
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 09:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Friedmann
After playing for more years than I think I want to remember, I've finally hung up the spikes and turned to umpiring high school and travel/rec leagues. Unlike soccer which I've refereed for a decade this umpiring deal requires a LOT of gear. So far I've picked up everything but I really need some guidance on plate shoes.
I'm looking between the Tanel and the Honigs. If I go low-tops, will the leg guards extensions protect against catcher's spikes and balls drilled into the ground or should I look at high tops?
Also, I'm very impressed with the Tanels. Am I missing something? Is there something in the + Pos shoes or the Nautilus type that should turn me in that direction?
Thanks for the help!
I used to wear high tops, now I wear the Tanels. They're cooler, lighter, and my leg guards have padding that comes around the ankles. Since I'm thin, I don't need the extra ankle support that some umpires require. If you need the ankle support, go for the high tops, otherwise the Tanel's are the best shoe on the market.

Stay away from +POS unless you try them on first. I know a few umpires who got a bad fit with those shoes. Ordering them thru the mail is a mistake.
Old Fri Mar 04, 2005, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Bob