The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Hey all! Some of you that are on the basketball forum will recognize my name. I've been doing basketball for about 6 years and this summer I'm going to pick up baseball. Baketball is my first love (to play and officiate) but I'm a teacher and working afternoon, lower level double headers looks like a fun summer job. Also it will allow me to be on the golf course in the mornings. Just a couple of questions heading into the season. First of all, I know mechanics and positioning are important so I at least look like I know what I'm doing. What should I really concentrate on next (rules that I will be faced with daily and such)? Secondly, I was sort of thinking of getting softball at the same time, but I wasn't sure if I shouldn't get just one this year until I become more familiar with the rules. Is that a good idea, or are they close enough I should just go for both. I played baseball 15 years ago, but I haven't been more than a casual fan since. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old Fri Feb 11, 2005, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
Hey all! Some of you that are on the basketball forum will recognize my name. I've been doing basketball for about 6 years and this summer I'm going to pick up baseball. Baketball is my first love (to play and officiate) but I'm a teacher and working afternoon, lower level double headers looks like a fun summer job. Also it will allow me to be on the golf course in the mornings. Just a couple of questions heading into the season. First of all, I know mechanics and positioning are important so I at least look like I know what I'm doing. What should I really concentrate on next (rules that I will be faced with daily and such)? Secondly, I was sort of thinking of getting softball at the same time, but I wasn't sure if I shouldn't get just one this year until I become more familiar with the rules. Is that a good idea, or are they close enough I should just go for both. I played baseball 15 years ago, but I haven't been more than a casual fan since. Thanks for your thoughts.
1. Join a local umpire association. Your timing is perfect. right about now they will be having rules meetings and clinics for the vets. and rookies.

2 get good equipment. Don't go cheap. The ball has a way of finding vulnerable spots. Be sure to get plate shoes. Steal towed shoes don't provide enough protection.

3. Get licensed for high school. They usually have a web site that provides useful info. You'll get a rule book and a case book. Study the case book it has all the goofy plays that can happen on the field.

Old Sat Feb 12, 2005, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
1. learn the rules
1a. learn the mechanics
2. pick up baseball or softball and then wait a year or 2 to do the other. Too easy to get rules mixed up when trying to learn 2 sports at the same time, especially if they are similiar sports. Or look at baseball in the spring and fast pitch softball in the fall.
3. as stated before, do not go cheap on equipment, especially for the plate. Buy the Navy shirt first then look at red and/or powder blue as secondary. I would get atleast 2 shirts and 2 pair of pants for starters depending on how many days a week you plan on calling. If you want to stay cheap, go with combo pants as opposed to seperate base and plate pants. This way if you find you totally suck, don't like it or whatever, you will not have spent a fortune. Always easy to add on in later seasons if you love it. I personnaly use combo for my plate pants and base pants for the field. Combos look a little better to me as far as plate pants. Get a fitted hat as opposed to an adjustable.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 04:47pm
M.A.S.H.

One other thing. Wear the gear right. Sounds dumb I know, but wear your chest protector under your shirt and your shin guards as well. All about looking professional! Only reason I say this is because there are some people around in this area who do not.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2005, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm going to pick up baseball this year and see how it goes. If its as much fun as basketball, or even close to it, I'm sure I'll get softball in a year or two. I'm sure I'll be on the board with questions once I get going. Any advice on which rules to really know well in the beginning (ideally all of them, but that's probably a little unrealistic)?