The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 01, 2005, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigGref
I just took the baseball exam, yeah!!!
I took your guys advice about having a withdrawl from officiating in all seasons but spring and picked up a spring sport. It should be fun!

I do have one question, for a new umpire should I get all the equipment now (including behind the plate stuff) or should I wait until I get used to it for a while and just get base stuff for now? ALSO this question could be worded as follows... will I be behind the plate much/at all my first year?

Thats it, Thanks and have a great day!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 12:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigGref
will I be behind the plate much/at all my first year?
Yes you will be a lot. Buy the best gear you can get.
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I... will I be behind the plate much/at all my first year?
One of the best places for the "new guy" is behind the plate. It's a numbers thing - you see so many pitches that if you screw up a few (and you will), you can get back into the game easily. But the bases are a different story. Too many times, "the new guy" ruins an entire game. On the bases, you get one shot at the call. That is where you really earn your money! You can really make or break a game out on the bases. Besides, if you work with a veteran, they will want to observe you and "relax" on the bases. So get your gear and enjoy. "By the way, you and I have a game to do tomorrow and you got the plate"!
Old Wed Feb 02, 2005, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I just took the baseball exam, yeah!!!
I took your guys advice about having a withdrawl from officiating in all seasons but spring and picked up a spring sport. It should be fun!

I do have one question, for a new umpire should I get all the equipment now (including behind the plate stuff) or should I wait until I get used to it for a while and just get base stuff for now? ALSO this question could be worded as follows... will I be behind the plate much/at all my first year?

Thats it, Thanks and have a great day!
Coaches and players are much more forgiven for mistakes at the plate than on the bases. They can have any where from 1 to mabey 15 attempts to get a hit. (Of course if YOU consistently blow the last pitch, you going to have a rough time)

On the bases they get one chance at out or safe and if you mess that up, well!!!!!

If you want to enjoy officiating Baseball, become an expert at the plate and reputation will be known quickly.