The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

I was asked to put on a certification clinic for officials. I was looking for some advice on some of the main topics that should be covered! I have an 03 CD from Carl Childress and Officials Handbooks, etc...but was looking for some new methods or advice from you all.

Are there any updated instructional tools that might be helpful?

Any information you could provide would be a great help!

Thanks!
Old Tue Jan 25, 2005, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
I was asked to put on a certification clinic for officials. I was looking for some advice on some of the main topics that should be covered! I have an 03 CD from Carl Childress and Officials Handbooks, etc...but was looking for some new methods or advice from you all.

Are there any updated instructional tools that might be helpful?

Any information you could provide would be a great help!

Thanks!
I think you already have a good starting point. You didn't say for what level most of these officials will be working, because that is important in what you are teaching them.

From experience though, do not expect season veterans at the end of your clinic though and let them know that. Give them the basic rules and make them study them on their own. Powerpoint presentations are fantastic however YOU MUST have actual mechanics and field work to be able to SHOW them how it is done.

Give them lots of references to study afterwards on their own and by all means if you can followup with a mid season and post season refreshers, thats important. Make it interesting and get help, because WE ALL become boring sooner or later.

Don't forget to have a session on dealing with people (Players, Coaches,Parents and otger officials), and by all means stay away from all your war stories about you and the number of coaches you have tossed. Your all ready putting the official on the offensive before he puts on the uniform. GOOD LUCK
Old Wed Jan 26, 2005, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Great advice Jicecone, Thanks!

One of my main topics was one you mentioned, dealing with players, coaches, your partner and should I say, NOT dealing with parents, lol.