The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sun Dec 05, 2004, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

OK, I have learned, from the Great One, that "if a runner legally acquires title to a base, and the pitcher assumes his pitching position, the runner may not return to a previously occupied base" (OBR 7.01).

If the runner attempts to return the umpire should warn him and if he persists should be called out. (JEA, J/R, Fitzpatrick and Childress).

Now we go to OBR 7.10 "APPROVED RULING: (2) When the ball is dead, no runner may return to touch a missed base or one he has left after he has advanced to and touched a base beyond the missed base. PLAY. (a) Batter hits ball out of park or ground rule double and misses first base (ball is dead)_he may return to first base to correct his mistake before he touches second but if he touches second he may not return to first and if defensive team appeals he is declared out at first."

The above two rules clearly say that the runner may not return with different but similar situations. OBR 7.01 has been interpreted with the penalties shown above but I have seen nothing concerning 7.10(AR).

I have been lead to believe from previous posts on all boards that if a runner attempts to return, in violation of OBR 7.10(AR) you do nothing and keep the appeal alive. The reasoning was that if you did anything you would be tipping off the defense to the missed base but wouldn't that also be true under the OBR 7.01 violation?

Of course, if the runner that violated OBR 7.10(AR)which is a dead ball situation and waited until the ball was made live he would now be in violation of both rules and you could invoke the penalty under OBR 7.01. But there are times when bases are awarded after violating OBR 7.10(AR) and the runner will not wait until the ball is put in play but just go back to the missed base and then take the award.

My simple question is, do you invoke the penalties under OBR 7.01 for the OBR 7.10(AR) violation or not. I did ask C2 that question but he was more interested in criticizing me than addressing the issue and evaded it. Any help on this. G.