The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

Started wearing glasses a few months ago. Wondering for those who wear glasses for better vision how receptive are the folks?
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 09:49pm
Administrator

I am almost 53 and started wearing glasses when I was 44. I started wearing glasses for umpiring (baseball and softball) and officiating soccer two years ago. But I still do not wear glasses when officiating basketball. Glasses and basketball are a no, no.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

No problems at all. Once in a while I'll hear a wisecrack from the losing team, but so will an umpire not wearing glasses.

Some folks have a ready comment on everything, so an umpire becomes a target for comments regardless of the subject matter.

Wear whatever lets you do the best job, and let the wisecracks fall where they may.

Senior
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to NFump
I personally don't wear any glasses sun or otherwise when I'm on the plate. That's why I went to contacts. But like senior said the eyesight cracks will come no matter what so if your comfortable with them wear'em.
Old Sat Oct 30, 2004, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Have never NOT worn glasses while umpiring. Normally, I wear trifocals but I refuse to wear trifocals for baseball so I have distance vision only glasses made. Besides not calling so much attention to my vision, the smaller rim keeps from interfering with mask. The DVO glasses correct to 20-15 but in doing so, make my near vision worse than with no glasses at all. I am nearly hopeless with lineup cards and have to look over the top of the glasses or just take them off when I'm doing games that require keeping a lineup card.

I have never heard a comment about glasses per se.
Old Sun Oct 31, 2004, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

I always wear my contacts when I'm doing a game, bases or plate. 1), I don't want to leave myself open to glasses comments, 2) I wear sunglasses almost all the time. I don't ever plan to wear glasses while umpiring.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 05:41am
Official Forum Member

I have worn glasses every game. Usually they are prescription sunglasses. Only ever had one comment about wearing glasses and I likely deserved a comment after that call...
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Yes, I did catch flack once (because my glasses are the ones that change to grey), a HS coach yelled, "why don't you take off the sunglasses". So I accomidated him and every pitch was a strike. That sent hm into orbit when his batters "struck out". At the end of the inning, I asked the opposing coach if he wanted me to keep my glasses off and he just laughed and hollered to the 1st coach, "the man wears glasses all the time, get off his back". Needless to say, I never heard a peep from the first coach for the rest of the game.

By the way, I've been wearing glassed for 45 years.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 08:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Yes, I did catch flack once (because my glasses are the ones that change to grey), a HS coach yelled, "why don't you take off the sunglasses". So I accomidated him and every pitch was a strike. That sent hm into orbit when his batters "struck out". At the end of the inning, I asked the opposing coach if he wanted me to keep my glasses off and he just laughed and hollered to the 1st coach, "the man wears glasses all the time, get off his back". Needless to say, I never heard a peep from the first coach for the rest of the game.

Nobody makes any comments about my sunglasses unless they want to get the rest of the game off or get a really strong rebuke.

I once had a coach yell out from the third base box, "Maybe if you weren't wearing those sunglasses, you'd have seen that play." In my mind, this is no different than him saying, "You're blind, blue."

I'll wear sunglasses wherever I want and whenever I want. I'm certainly not going to stand there and squint.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900

That was good.

I heve bee wearing glasses for about 4 years now because of the age thing. I noticed right away that the strike zone I had in my youngeer years , suddenly reappeared when I wore the glasses.

I don't really care what they think or say about them. When they personalize it to the point I no longer want them around. Good-bye. But it's always on my terms.
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Glasses?

I've worn glasses for about ten years now. I've only had one comment made about them while I was umpiring, it was a hot day game, I went to the backstop to get some water and wipe my face. The comment was "Hey blue, you need these?" I had left them hanging on the fence.

I'm like some, unless it get personal, blow it off!

Scott
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 04:43pm
Official Forum Member

I had lasik about a year ago. Talk about the difference between night and day! Not having to fool with glasses under my mask, dust, sweat dripping on them...plus my vision is now 20/15 after wearing glasses for 20 years.
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by orioles35
I had lasik about a year ago. Talk about the difference between night and day! Not having to fool with glasses under my mask, dust, sweat dripping on them...plus my vision is now 20/15 after wearing glasses for 20 years.
How do you do with lineup cards?
Old Fri Nov 05, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

I always was a bit afread to wear my (sun)glasses, but this summer I did for the first time. Haven't heared any comment yet. If there comes one, this person has to make his/her trip to the shower...
Alex
Old Wed Nov 10, 2004, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Wink

I'm 45 and have worn glasses for... a while! Last season - pitcher straddled the rubber in the bottom of the 7th - without the ball - runner on third and game tied. "Thats a balk!" The catcher for the losing team had LOTS to say after that... all related to the necessity of strengthening the prescription. The next time I saw that team - miraculously - my prescription was okay. Amazing how THEM knowing what the rule said suddenly fixed MY prescription! Go figure...