The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   rules quest (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/16145-rules-quest.html)

southump Wed Oct 27, 2004 09:15am

Hi guys, someone please helps on 1.- How a pitcher balks on an appeal throw to a base?. 2.- Buntting inside batterĀ“s box. Ball rebounds and hits bat. Out or foul?

cbfoulds Wed Oct 27, 2004 09:18am

Quote:

Originally posted by southump
Hi guys, someone please helps on 1.- How a pitcher balks on an appeal throw to a base?. 2.- Buntting inside batterĀ“s box. Ball rebounds and hits bat. Out or foul?
1: Doing anything that would be a balk if it was not an appeal throw.
2: Presuming that batter did not intentionally hit the ball a 2d time, and that all this happened inside the BB, foul ball.

David Emerling Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:45am

Quote:

Originally posted by cbfoulds

[/B]
Other than the obvious - throwing to an occupied base while in contact with the rubber.

Sidenote: Don't you all find it amazing how confused teams get when they attempt to make an appeal? Even though the ball has remained live, I find it amazing how many teams are under the impression that the ball has to be returned to the pitcher and the appeal process begin from there.

Only when the ball has become dead does the pitcher need to start with the ball. And then, if he steps off the rubber as soon as the ball is put back in play ... it would be pretty difficult to commit a balk of any sort.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

cbfoulds Thu Oct 28, 2004 07:02am

Quote:

Originally posted by David Emerling
Quote:

Originally posted by cbfoulds

Other than the obvious - throwing to an occupied base while in contact with the rubber.
[/B]
I'm guessing you mean UN-occupied?
Actually, if you consider the appeal to be a "play", my general statement still holds, since what is prohibited is a throw to an unoccupied base, except for the purpose of making a play on a runner.

southump Thu Oct 28, 2004 06:35pm

David
It is not a balk if the pitcher throws to an unoccupied base from the rubber, for the purpose of making an appeal.N.A.P.B.L. 6.6 .
I understand it is a balk if he makes a motion associated with the start of a pitch prior to doing this.
how can he commits balk doing something else, to first or any other base is my quest.

DG Thu Oct 28, 2004 09:04pm

1. It's possible, but rare, to balk while appealing.
2. Foul ball.

[Edited by DG on Oct 28th, 2004 at 10:51 PM]

Kaliix Fri Oct 29, 2004 04:57am

If your quoting the N.A.P.B.L., then you probably are familiar with the OBR 8.05, which lists what are considered balks.

A pitcher could, while not touching rubber, make a motion associated with his delivery. He could fail to step directly toward a base, feint a throw, drop the ball, or perhaps even have fielder not make an appeal and throw the ball back to him, all while touching the rubber. These would all be balks.

Quote:

Originally posted by southump
David
It is not a balk if the pitcher throws to an unoccupied base from the rubber, for the purpose of making an appeal.N.A.P.B.L. 6.6 .
I understand it is a balk if he makes a motion associated with the start of a pitch prior to doing this.
how can he commits balk doing something else, to first or any other base is my quest.

[Edited by Kaliix on Oct 29th, 2004 at 12:20 PM]