The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   2004 World Series Umpires (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/15879-2004-world-series-umpires.html)

johnSandlin Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:14am

As anybody heard through their "connections" and/or "grape vine" who has been assigned to work the World Series as of yet? I have not seen anything posted on the normal baseball websites that would have this information, so I was wondering if anyone from here had anything as of yet?

Dave Hensley Wed Oct 13, 2004 02:07pm

Quote:

Originally posted by johnSandlin
As anybody heard through their "connections" and/or "grape vine" who has been assigned to work the World Series as of yet? I have not seen anything posted on the normal baseball websites that would have this information, so I was wondering if anyone from here had anything as of yet?

For the World Series... Game 1 positions indicated.

Ed Montague (Crew Chief), Plate, (5th World Series, '86, '91, '97, '01)
Dale Scott, 1st (3rd World Series, '98, '01)
Brian Gorman, 2nd (1st World Series)
Chuck Meriwether, 3rd (1st World Series)
Gerry Davis, LF (3rd World Series, '96, '99)
Charlie Reliford, RF (2nd World Series, '00)

johnSandlin Wed Oct 13, 2004 03:07pm

Thanks for the information Dave. Looks like a solid veteran crew selection for the World Series.

Sal Giaco Wed Oct 13, 2004 03:13pm

Dave,
How do you get your info so fast? .... or do you have to kill me if you tell me? ha, ha

Dave Hensley Wed Oct 13, 2004 06:36pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Sal Giaco
Dave,
How do you get your info so fast? .... or do you have to kill me if you tell me? ha, ha

Friend of a friend kind of thing. But I didn't get it from ESPN today; I had the info yesterday (Tuesday) afternoon.

johnSandlin Thu Oct 14, 2004 08:43am

Hmmm...I can imagine with 4 crew chiefs from the regular season being assigned to work the World Series, that there will be B.S. developing throughout the series.

I was reading Dave's post a little closer, and it clicked to me that four regular season crew chiefs are assigned to the World Series.

mrm21711 Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:30pm

Yes, but the normal is three crew chiefs assigned to the world series each year. Considering Reliford is in his first year, I dont think its that big of a deal, hes a good umpire.

jpc2119 Thu Oct 14, 2004 04:52pm

Quote:

Originally posted by johnSandlin
Hmmm...I can imagine with 4 crew chiefs from the regular season being assigned to work the World Series, that there will be B.S. developing throughout the series.
what did you mean by that?

mbyron Thu Oct 14, 2004 07:09pm

Wow!

Quote:

Originally posted by Dave Hensley

Those guys must be really old! They worked the first or second world series! That was, what, 100 years ago? I know umpires have to have great stamina, but those pro guys are really something!

johnSandlin Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:03pm

My typo errors (again). It should have stated that there will be no B.S. developing during the course of the World Series.

I am just implying that with four regular season crew chiefs working the World Series, the likely hood of a bench clearing fight breaking out is being greatly reduced is what I was referring too.

cowbyfan1 Mon Oct 18, 2004 05:05am

Quote:

I might be wrong on this, but as I recall Gerry Davis was the crew chief for last years WS between the Yankees and Marlins.

johnSandlin Mon Oct 18, 2004 09:16am

Actually, Randy Marsh was the crew chief for last year's World Series Umpiring Crew between the Yankees and the Marlins.