The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

I did not see this play. Coach call me for a ruling.
12 yo obr rules.
No outs, no one on, batter strikes out. clean catch by catcher. Batter heads for firstbase do. Stopes to talk to coach as the next batter takes his plase. Pitcher starts his pitch , player runs to first and hits first as batter hits ball to left. Fielder thinking the runner going to third was in play sails the ball into the dugout.
First I think the bu with no one on in A had to see the player at first and called time at that point making the ball dead. However if he did not see the runner, after all was over would 7,09f apply without going to 9.01c.
Coach said umps ejected the runner that was out and gave the batter first. After the call had to eject both coaches for the o team and one coach for the d.
Sounds like poor officiating caused a mess that was not necessary.
I have been umping 36 years and never had this happen.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think 7.09 (f) works for this situation.

It is interference by a batter or a runner when (f) Any batter or runner who has just been put out hinders or impedes any following play being made on a runner. Such runner shall be declared out for the interference of his teammate; If the batter or a runner continues to advance after he has been put out, he shall not by that act alone be considered as confusing, hindering or impeding the fielders.

This talks of a runner who has just been put out. Example: R3 is tagged out at home by F2, R2 is running towards home, and R3 hinders F2 making him miss the tag on R2. So this rule does not apply to the original situation.

I think this was handeled pretty well (except for letting F1 pitch while B1 was standing talking to the base coach). Pitch is on the way to B2, and B1 starts running across the field. B2 hits a clean single to left. Eject B1, use you judgement on to what base BR would have obtained.
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally posted by bluduc
I did not see this play. Coach call me for a ruling.
12 yo obr rules.
No outs, no one on, batter strikes out. clean catch by catcher. Batter heads for firstbase do. Stopes to talk to coach as the next batter takes his plase. Pitcher starts his pitch , player runs to first and hits first as batter hits ball to left. Fielder thinking the runner going to third was in play sails the ball into the dugout.
First I think the bu with no one on in A had to see the player at first and called time at that point making the ball dead. However if he did not see the runner, after all was over would 7,09f apply without going to 9.01c.
Coach said umps ejected the runner that was out and gave the batter first. After the call had to eject both coaches for the o team and one coach for the d.
Sounds like poor officiating caused a mess that was not necessary.
I have been umping 36 years and never had this happen.
This would be easy in my book.

I've got TIME!

Thanks
David