The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 02:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
16 – 18 YRO HS Fall Ball, working alone (102 deg. – 9 inning game).

R2 & R3

BR hits a grounder into center field.

I slide up the 3rd base line a little to cover a throw to 3rd on R2 (R3 scores easily). R2 rounds 3rd and is heading home. I turn to move back to the plate to find R2 running backwards in foul territory directly at me. I was able to avoid the collision and the runner scored without a throw home. Why R2 was back-peddling up the line when his dugout was on the 1st base side I will never know.

My question is, what if there had been a play on R3 at home and R2 had blasted into me and taken me out of the play, so that I did not see what happened at Home Plate ?

Safe or Out ? Interference ? Obstruction of Justice ?

I have had games where my partners have been taken out, but I was there to make the call. This is the first time ‘I’ have come close to being taken out, and it got me to thinking about what I should do.

Thanks,

Nick
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

I'm confused by the play (a possible play on R2 at third or R3 at home on a clean single? Were these guys carrying pianos?), but there are no provisions for a player and an umpire colliding (except PU interfereing with F2's throw) -- so you just make the best call you can.

Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nickrego
16 – 18 YRO HS Fall Ball, working alone (102 deg. – 9 inning game).

R2 & R3

BR hits a grounder into center field.

I slide up the 3rd base line a little to cover a throw to 3rd on R2 (R3 scores easily). R2 rounds 3rd and is heading home. I turn to move back to the plate to find R2 running backwards in foul territory directly at me. I was able to avoid the collision and the runner scored without a throw home. Why R2 was back-peddling up the line when his dugout was on the 1st base side I will never know.

My question is, what if there had been a play on R3 at home and R2 had blasted into me and taken me out of the play, so that I did not see what happened at Home Plate ?

Safe or Out ? Interference ? Obstruction of Justice ?

I have had games where my partners have been taken out, but I was there to make the call. This is the first time ‘I’ have come close to being taken out, and it got me to thinking about what I should do.

Thanks,
102 degrees and you are working alone!? I would use this as an excuse to take off all the gear and work behind the mound to stay cool. I certainly would not be running to third unless it was absolutely necessary.

Peter
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry, I wrote it backwards.

My question is, what if there had been a play on R2 at home and R3 had blasted into me and taken me out of the play, so that I did not see what happened at Home Plate ?

Nick
Old Fri Sep 17, 2004, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, it was pretty hot.

But whenever I work a single game, I always go for a 2 mile run afterwards to stay in shape for the double headers and games like this one.

At a $100 a game, I'll take these all day long !

Nick
Old Sat Sep 18, 2004, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

$100.00 A GAME!!!!!

Need any help?
Old Sun Sep 19, 2004, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by His High Holiness
Quote:

102 degrees and you are working alone!? I would use this as an excuse to take off all the gear and work behind the mound to stay cool. I certainly would not be running to third unless it was absolutely necessary.

Peter
Peter,

What if the league you are working for and is paying you REQUIRES you to run to third in 102 degree heat on every potential play?

U7
Old Sun Sep 19, 2004, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sorry, I wrote it backwards.

My question is, what if there had been a play on R2 at home and R3 had blasted into me and taken me out of the play, so that I did not see what happened at Home Plate ?
You still must make the best call you can. There's no "interference" or "do over" or similar.

Given that R3 got in your way, give the benefit of the doubt to the defense.

Old Sun Sep 19, 2004, 10:34pm
Official Forum Member

So...

As my body is being twisted into a mangled pile of flesh by R3, I need to keep my head still and on the play ?

Sounds reasonable.

Thanks for the feedback.

Nick
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Hey Nick,take up football!!! You don't need a helmet(LOL)Work the umpire position(behind the backers) and have some real fun!!! Or, work a wing and see if you are still as fleet-footed as in high school...........
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

I don't know Chris. I volunteer at our HS on the chain gang, and from what I see, I might be tempted to wear my helmet out there.

Nick
Old Mon Sep 20, 2004, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know Chris. I volunteer at our HS on the chain gang, and from what I see, I might be tempted to wear my helmet out there.

Hey Nick, you may wanna wear that thing........got plowed......busted ankle by 17 year old mooose. BUT......Dela Salle game this past Sat.......Talk bout some fun!!!!!!!