The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Hit by Pitch (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/15030-hit-pitch.html)

mandyr26 Thu Aug 19, 2004 06:53pm

Help me settle a bet. My friend says that it's a MLB rule that if a player is hit by a ball that they are not allowed to rub/touch where they are hit. I can't believe that this is true, although I can't remember seeing any player actully do it. My dispute is that it's not an actual MLB rule, but more an unwritten one? Anyone have the answer for me?

greymule Thu Aug 19, 2004 07:08pm

You lose.

Rule 4-12, Section B-3-c:

"No batter who is hit by a pitch shall rub, massage, or otherwise touch any spot where a pitch has hit him."

Penalty: The batter is out.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:09pm

Quote:

Originally posted by greymule
You lose.

"No batter who is hit by a pitch shall rub, massage, or otherwise touch any spot where a pitch has hit him."

Please tell me you just made this rule up to give everybody a good laugh. Why on earth does such a rule exist? It does not make any sense.

MTD, Sr.

TBBlue Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:12pm

Quote:

You lose.

NICE!!!

mick Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:16pm

Quote:

You lose.

You are, of course, correct.
For games subject to media scrutiny, players are not allowed to touch certain parts of their body.
mick

mandyr26 Fri Aug 20, 2004 02:05pm

Ok here's another question - I looked at the MLB website and brought up the Official Rules they have posted on it. According to that posting Rule 4.12 speaks about SUSPENDED GAMES, not being hit by a pitch? Where can I find the rule you are talking about listed on a Official Site?

LDUB Fri Aug 20, 2004 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mandyr26
Ok here's another question - I looked at the MLB website and brought up the Official Rules they have posted on it. According to that posting Rule 4.12 speaks about SUSPENDED GAMES, not being hit by a pitch? Where can I find the rule you are talking about listed on a Official Site?
It was a joke, there is no such rule.

mick Fri Aug 20, 2004 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally posted by mandyr26
Sorry for messin' with you, mandyr26,

...What LDUB said.

mick

Jeremiah Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:36pm

hah,

I'll have to remember that one. A new way to get some free outs!

Jeremiah