The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Hey guys, quick question for you all. Have any of you tried the underarmour heat gear t-shirt? I was just curious how well it actually works. One guy I know says it makes it feel about 75-80 no matter what the temperature is. Just looking for either reccomendations or dissatisfied customers. Thanks very much!
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
There's a discussion related to such clothing embeded in the MLB Uniforms thread.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Its amazing, def gotta try this one. Ive got 4 heat gear shirts, two shorts, and many other loose gear things along with cold gear turtleneck & leggings. They are amazing, the cold gear makes me not even feel the cold and the heat gear is just as good in the hot.
Old Sat Jul 17, 2004, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

It is counter intuitive to add another layer of clothing to keep cooler.

However, I took the advice of the people on this board who said that this stuff works to keep you cool. You know what, they are right. I know wear my royal blue skin tight under armour top underneath my shirt for every game.

It does what they say it does, it keeps you cooler. The difference is noticeable and I have been comfortable all year, even in the hottest of weather.

Buy one, it will be $25 well spent!
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 12:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by U_of_I_Blue
Hey guys, quick question for you all. Have any of you tried the underarmour heat gear t-shirt? I was just curious how well it actually works. One guy I know says it makes it feel about 75-80 no matter what the temperature is. Just looking for either reccomendations or dissatisfied customers. Thanks very much!
I don't have any Under Armour stuff, but have some other brands that are similar. I will not go so far to say that wearing this stuff will make you feel like 75-80 degrees no matter the temp, but if it will take away the feeling of a sweat soaked cotton T shirt under a chest protector then it's worth the money. I also wear full length ankle to butt compression tights with a cup pocket for plate games. I did three games yesterday (1st one on plate) and left them on all day, although the last one was a night game.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

I wear the tights and shirt for officiating basketball. I love it. I have no scientific evidence to back this up, but I feel cooler. Prior to UA gear I wore compression chorts and cotton t-shirt. I will never og back to that.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2004, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Comparison/Pricing, etc.

How about some comparisons between the MdDavid Interawear and the Under Armor warmer weather products? Does anyone out there have some of both, and what are your opinions on the effectiveness of either one?

Most of our games are in the high heat and humidity ranges, and I have the McDavids and know how they function, but I'm considering the U/A shirts, and don't want to get them if there is no appreciable difference in performance.

Also, has anyone found a really good deal on the U/A products? I've caught some ads with relatively high pricing, and perhaps I'm missing on some of the other sources.

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Senior
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Lightbulb I love my under armour

I started wearing Under Armour about 4 years ago and loved it. This stuff really became worth its weight in gold when I wore it in Iraq. I wear UA for every game.

I have never owned any McDavid products and would be interested in knowing how it compares to UA.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

How do they last? They're fairly pricey here in Canada. I'm considering getting something, but I want to make sure it's worth the cost.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

I have worn one UA top all year to approx. 35 games and it has shown no appreciable wear at all. Most of those were plate games and it still looks great and wears well.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
How do they last? They're fairly pricey here in Canada. I'm considering getting something, but I want to make sure it's worth the cost.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Quote:
Also, has anyone found a really good deal on the U/A products?
Using the Heat Gear tshirts as a guide, stores seem to be fairly standard in their pricing. The shirts go for $25 everywhere. It looks like you can get new UA shirts from sellers on ebay for $15-$20 if you are patient.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2004, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Canada? Does it get hot in Canada? What is hot in Canada? I am not being a smart a**, but I am in the South and think of Canada as cool, so I would like to know. Also, what is pricey, in Canada? Again, I don't know. In US an UA shirt can be easily found for $25-$30. If that is goig to break the bank then I suggest a McDavid hDC shirt for about 1/3 less or some other brand of similar stuff you might catch on sale at local sporting goods. The SOFFE Dri-Fit T shirts are good for the price, ie about 1/3 the price of UA. Russell also makes one for about 1/2 the price of UA. UA is top of the line. If you need top of the line, get one and try it.

[Edited by DG on Jul 19th, 2004 at 11:07 PM]
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DG
Quote:
Canada? Does it get hot in Canada? What is hot in Canada? I am not being a smart a**, but I am in the South and think of Canada as cool, so I would like to know. Also, what is pricey, in Canada? Again, I don't know. In US an UA shirt can be easily found for $25-$30. If that is goig to break the bank then I suggest a McDavid hDC shirt for about 1/3 less or some other brand of similar stuff you might catch on sale at local sporting goods. The SOFFE Dri-Fit T shirts are good for the price, ie about 1/3 the price of UA. Russell also makes one for about 1/2 the price of UA. UA is top of the line. If you need top of the line, get one and try it.

[Edited by DG on Jul 19th, 2004 at 11:07 PM]
DG,

It does get hot in Canada. The difference is not as often and of course, our summers are fairly short.

It can get quite muggy and that's where I believe these garments could help.

To give you an idea of our weather, I live 100 miles from the Maine border, so it's similar to Maine. Our baseball season starts in mid-May and goes to the begining of October. The rest of the year is too cold to play. Yesterday, the temperature was 75 but the Humid Index was about 90.

One thing to keep in mind about Canada, it is a huge country. There is a tremendous difference betweeen the southern parts of Canada as opposed to the Arctic. 90% of Canadians live within a couple of hours of the Americian border.

As far as pricey, an UA shirt was 60$ at a local sport store.

Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 11:53am

Lightbulb ?

You are already online...saving a ton of dough is just a click or two away. Go to your local retailer and check your size and then place your order at home.
Old Tue Jul 20, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: ?

I'll bet that the UA shirt was $60 Canadian and not US dollars.

There is that pesky conversion rate that he probably has to deal with if I'm not mistaken.

I just checked the current conversion rate and it is as follows:

xe.com Universal Currency Converter ® Results
Live mid-market rates as of 2004.07.20 17:08:38 GMT.
25.00 USD United States Dollars = 32.7312 CAD Canada Dollars
1 USD = 1.30925 CAD 1 CAD = 0.763797 USD

Perhaps he should try to buy it online and see if he can get a good conversion rate.

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue

You are already online...saving a ton of dough is just a click or two away. Go to your local retailer and check your size and then place your order at home.