The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Pitcher with a batting glove (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/14634-pitcher-batting-glove.html)

Jay R Fri Jul 16, 2004 07:42pm

A coach asked me today if a pitcher could wear a batting glove underneath his catching glove. I said I wasn't aware of any rule that prohibited that. The coach mentionned that in another province they were not allowed. Is there anything to this?

Jay

mrm21711 Fri Jul 16, 2004 08:19pm

Under NFHS they are

Jay R Fri Jul 16, 2004 08:21pm

This was OBR

Rich Ives Fri Jul 16, 2004 08:45pm

OBR Ruling from the MLB Umpire Manual:

<i>2.10 PLAYERS WEARING GOLF GLOVES
A pitcher is not allowed to wear a golf glove while pitching. Other defensive players may wear a
golf glove on their glove hand but they shall not rub the ball with the golf glove on their hand.</i>

And don't get caught up in a "it's not a golf glove, it's a batting glove" semantic.

DG Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:44pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Ives
OBR Ruling from the MLB Umpire Manual:

<i>2.10 PLAYERS WEARING GOLF GLOVES
A pitcher is not allowed to wear a golf glove while pitching. Other defensive players may wear a
golf glove on their glove hand but they shall not rub the ball with the golf glove on their hand.</i>

And don't get caught up in a "it's not a golf glove, it's a batting glove" semantic.

What MLB Umpire Manual would that be? I have a 2004 PBUC and this is covered under 1.22, and the batting glove is called a batting glove, no mention of golf glove.

I had a game tonight that was under FED rules. Pitcher has on a black fielder's glove, and a black batting glove, but it had a big oval shaped white logo on back. I told him he needed to take it off because I thought it would be distracting to the batters. He asked could he wear an all black one, I said sure, and damn if he didn't have it on him in his back pocket. He changed and we went on about business. It made me wonder if he might have thought it was distracting and just trying to see if he could by with it.

Rich Ives Sat Jul 17, 2004 09:47am

MLB Publishes a manual for the MLB umps similar to the PBUC.

My quote is from the one dated 2002.

akalsey Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:54am

How could you see the oval if his hand was in the glove?

DG Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:59am

Quote:

Where do you get one?

DG Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:00pm

Quote:

Originally posted by akalsey
How could you see the oval if his hand was in the glove?
The oval was on the part of the batting glove that is around the wrist, which was outside the fielding glove, and clearly visible.

GarthB Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:49pm

Quote:

Originally posted by DG
Quote:

Where do you get one?

MLB does not make it available to the public.

Most often one gets it from a MLB umpire or someone who knows one or someone who knows someone who knows one or someone who knows someone who knows someone who knows one.

But usually it's umpires who get them, not coaches.