The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Apology to Garth Benham (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/14493-apology-garth-benham.html)

Carl Childress Thu Jul 08, 2004 02:49pm

To Garth Benham and all interested parties:

I was wrong earlier today about the renewal notices. I sincerely apologize to Garth and to the members of this Forum.

There's more to come, but I'm off to Copy Zone to see about the printing of the manual for my Umpire Camp (14-18 July: plug).

When I return, I will, as they say on C-SPAN, "extend and embellish my remarks."
=======
Extended and embellished remarks follow:

Just 10 minutes before my apoogy, Garth started a new thread that reiterated how angry he was that I accused him of lying. Actually, I said <i>they</i> were lyng to him or <i>he</i> was lying to us.

I was wrong on both accounts. The reason for my error is long and internal -- and has been fixed.

I hope Garth and everyone can understand my dilemma: He has been so angry for so long, I assumed the worst. Knowing and working with him as long as I did, I should have assumed the best.

Whatever happens, Garth knows that I have the best interests of amateur officials at heart. I believe the same of him.

That goes also for Officiating.com. Whatever you may think of the "paid" site, our goal is to provide the best information available on the Internet for sports officials.

We're always open to new blood, as you know. Whenever we publish a controversial piece, we offer space to the other side -- for pay. That's not something you get in a Letter to the Editor column.

Once again: I hope everyone accepts my sincere apologies for my error. I assure you all it will not happen again.

[Edited by Carl Childress on Jul 8th, 2004 at 05:06 PM]

WindyCityBlue Thu Jul 08, 2004 03:58pm

Very simply...

Nice.

JRutledge Thu Jul 08, 2004 04:11pm

Nice bad Carl.

Not bad at all.

Peace

Dan_ref Thu Jul 08, 2004 04:23pm

Re: Nice bad Carl.

Quote:

Originally posted by JRutledge
Not bad at all.

Peace

My take?

At some point during the day words along the lines of "you apologize or else" were directed at herr editor in chief.

It didn't have to come to the or else part.

IMO.

JRutledge Thu Jul 08, 2004 04:37pm

Maybe but.......

Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Childress

As often happens on this Board, your take is wrong.

As often happens on this Board, we do not believe you. ;)

Peace

GarthB Thu Jul 08, 2004 06:17pm

Just got home and saw this.

Thank you, Carl.

I know from the past that Jimmy and Brad do not pressure you one way or the other in regards to your posting activity. I believe that your apology was self-motivated and sincere, and it is appreciated and accepted.

As I have said before, one of my many flaws is to reach anger when falsely accused of anything. This trait, I believe, began in the 5th grade when Mrs. Farwell accused me of something that Jay Richardson did. And, she made it stick.

Even at my advanced age those feelings of anger, frustration and betrayl return when I am accused of something I did not do. And, to my discredit, I too often give vent to them.

I remembered those feelings so well, that when I had kids of my own, I did everything humanly possible to never accuse them of anything that they did not do.

To their credit, they recognized the extra effort that my wife and I made and have thanked us many times over the years.

And, Carl, I am as appreciative as they are. Thank you again.

WindyCityBlue Thu Jul 08, 2004 07:43pm

Awwwwww

Nice squared.

JEL Thu Jul 08, 2004 09:51pm

Shoot, I missed it all!

Carl, Garth You guys are Gentlemen.

jumpmaster Fri Jul 09, 2004 07:32am

Holy schnikees batman!

It appears that we have some semblance of manners on the forum...where's T or HHH to rattle the cage.

In all seriousness, Carl and Garth I believe you have proved your mettle. Thank you for taking the hard right.