The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

I am quite consistent when it comes to putting the ball in play after a foul ball etc... I mean pointing to the pitcher and saying "Play" when the pitcher is on the plate again.

I only do this with runners on base. One of my colleagues puts the ball in play even when no runners are on base. Does anyone see the need to do this?

Jay
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 12:16pm
I drank what?

Send a message via MSN to w_sohl
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
I am quite consistent when it comes to putting the ball in play after a foul ball etc... I mean pointing to the pitcher and saying "Play" when the pitcher is on the plate again.

I only do this with runners on base. One of my colleagues puts the ball in play even when no runners are on base. Does anyone see the need to do this?

Jay
I might see a need for it if you have a problem with lazy batters not paying attention and standing in the box.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 12:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Every single time.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R

Jay
Yes. It lets everyone know you are ready. I do not know how many times when a pitcher is set up on the pitching rubber and starting their warmup, and the batter is not in the batter's box. You are not in position. I think you should make this a habit. That one time you forget, might be the time a runner is on and all hell will break loose.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

One of the most frustrating this as a BU is if you are dealing with an inexperienced PU. ie - they do not call "play" after a foul ball. Even when you remind them at breaks in the action, they still won't do it all the time. And most of the time coaches will not notice a problem.

I never see MLB umpires put the ball back in play after a foul ball, I wonder why that is.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

I always put the ball in play after a foul ball or after I call time, if there are runners on base. It comes in handy every once and a while when runners try to steal and the ball is still dead. It makes it really easy to explain to a coach why the runner has to go back, or why the runner is no out. If there is no one on, then I only do it if the batter asks for time to get his feet set, or if the pitcher is going to fast for my liking.

I too have noticed that MLB umpires don't put the ball back in play. But then again MLB umpires do many things that I would consider incorrect and I would not do.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb I have not either.

Quote:
Originally posted by LDUB
I too have noticed that MLB umpires don't put the ball back in play. But then again MLB umpires do many things that I would consider incorrect and I would not do.
I agree. But Major League Umpires are dealing with a different type of player. So I do not blame them for not putting the ball in play. That level has some "in game justice," that amateur ball does not have at all.

Peace
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 03:47pm

Lightbulb Why?

The mechanic taught at the professional level is to "Point/Play" only when the bases are occupied. If no one is on base, the PU need only verbalize to the catcher and batter. Usually, something like, "22 get set, we've got 1 ball, two strikes...here we go." The catcher will then throw down a sign and the pitcher will deliver. Catchers at this level are too careful to throw down signs when the batter could steal them. Batters almost always verbalize their need for more time to get set, adjust etc. The PU usually accedes and will prompt the catcher when both he and the batter are set.

You'll also notice that the mechanic for calling "Time" at the dish has changed. The PU is told to indicate if the catcher or batter wants time when he has to call it and the pitcher is close to delivery. Too many were complaining that the pitcher was going to get hurt checking his pitch, even though his catcher asked for the call. FYI, if your catcher asks for "Time" and he is not a head case...give it to him. He's standing in front of you with the mitt!
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

I say "play" only half the time, normally only with runners on base, but I always raise my right hand about head height, frame it like a pistol, and snap a point at the pitcher, even with no runners on base. I can never recall a problem with no runners on, but I have had a number of pickoffs disallowed, with no arguement, because I had not snapped off that point.

[Edited by DG on Jul 1st, 2004 at 08:05 PM]
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Why?

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
You'll also notice that the mechanic for calling "Time" at the dish has changed. The PU is told to indicate if the catcher or batter wants time when he has to call it and the pitcher is close to delivery. Too many were complaining that the pitcher was going to get hurt checking his pitch, even though his catcher asked for the call. FYI, if your catcher asks for "Time" and he is not a head case...give it to him. He's standing in front of you with the mitt!
I did this for the first time tonight. Pitcher came set and he just stood there for several seconds. Batter asked for time. I called time and steped to the side just before the pitcher started his movement. Then I pointed at the batter. Am I supposed to say something to indicate that it was the batter who asked for time, or point at him?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2004, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

I don't explain 'em, I just call 'em. Sometimes a pitcher will come set and just before he makes any motion toward home the batter will ask for time and it registers in my mind, but takes a second to call, and by then the pitcher is delivering. Then you hear the complaints "he was coming to the plate blue". I go by when it registers in my mind, that is the point at which time is called. When it registers I always say "time", put my right hand up, and walk left, regardless of RH or LH batter. It's just a habit. I never point at who called time, but I don't see anything wrong with doing that.

If a batter calls time after the pitcher has started delivery, I usually say "too late" so the batter can hear me, and stay locked in my position for the pitch.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 11:52am

Damn, I'm a Senior Member now...do I get a discount?

LDUB,
If you call "Time" and emphatically point (finger above the person's head pointing downward), you will not have to explain to much.

However, if a guy is set and looking at a runner, I am very reluctant to grant the batter a break unless the pitcher has delayed unnecessarily. I am not afraid to say "No", either. Conversely, if a catcher asks for "Time", I can't recall an instance when I didn't immediately grant it. That guy's my wall and if he has crap in his eye or is confused...it's time to get it fixed.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

After the ball is dead, play shall be resumed when the pitcher takes his place on the pitcher's plate with a new ball or the same ball in his possession and the plate umpire calls "Play." The plate umpire shall call "Play" as soon as the pitcher takes his place on his plate with the ball in his possession.