The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

This situation happened tonight.

The batter attempted a bunt with no strikes. The bunt went up in the air about 6-10 inches directly in front of the catcher behind home plate. The catcher leaned forward and caught the ball on the way down.

The question is - is the batter out or is this a foul tip? I always thought the rule was if the ball did not elevate above the batter's head, then it was a foul tip but the umpire ruled it an out tonight.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 10:33pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by tsbetts

The batter attempted a bunt with no strikes. The bunt went up in the air about 6-10 inches directly in front of the catcher behind home plate. The catcher leaned forward and caught the ball on the way down.

The question is - is the batter out or is this a foul tip? I always thought the rule was if the ball did not elevate above the batter's head, then it was a foul tip but the umpire ruled it an out tonight.
The umpire was right. Unless the ball was "sharp and direct to the catcher's hands" it is a foul ball and can be caught for an out.

Softball rules may vary.

--Rich
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

OBR 2.0

A FOUL TIP is a batted ball that goes sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher's hands and is legally caught. It is not a foul tip unless caught and any foul tip that is caught is a strike, and the ball is in play. It is not a catch if it is a rebound, unless the ball has first touched the catcher's glove or hand.

By your description the ball did not go sharp and direct from the bat to the catcher's glove. If that is the case, then the batter is out.
Old Sat Jul 03, 2004, 07:50am
Official Forum Member

Same ruling is SB

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
Quote:
Originally posted by tsbetts

The umpire was right. Unless the ball was "sharp and direct to the catcher's hands" it is a foul ball and can be caught for an out.

Softball rules may vary.

--Rich
Softball rules thes same way on this situation.
NCAA finally went this direction I believe it was last year in SB.