The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Question

Sitch: Yankees batting - just as F1 begins to throw, batter calls time and ump grants it. Twice. In a row. When F1 finally pitches, he throws inside and hits BR.

How would you handle this?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jumpmaster
Sitch: Yankees batting - just as F1 begins to throw, batter calls time and ump grants it. Twice. In a row. When F1 finally pitches, he throws inside and hits BR.

Just like the umpire did.

Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I would simply handle it this way - "TIME" - walk in front of the batter as I always do with my back to the pitcher and my arms up. So what's your point here? (note: I did not see the game)
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
would you have ejected F1 for throwing at BR or would you have issued a warning or would you have just let it go?

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
would you have ejected F1 for throwing at BR or would you have issued a warning or would you have just let it go?
Okay, I think I can guess what happened (as I said, I didn't see the game). Let me say this, in 20 years of umpiring levels from NCAA and down, I've only been sure a handful of times that there was intent on a pitcher. The offense will scream for it, but I've got to be really convinced. Maybe I'm still old time where the batter has to expect an inside pitch for making the pitcher wait or when he is hanging over the plate. If the batter is doing "everything right" and he's not hanging over the plate and F1 delivers a "high & tight one", I've been known to go out and dust the plate and give the pitcher a good stare when I'm done. Twice, the pitch came in H&T again so I ejected F1 on general principle. But after all this babbling, I must stress that the umpire must be very sure that there's something wrong before he accuses F1 of anything.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 11:34am

Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Quote:

I would simply handle it this way - "TIME" - walk in front of the batter as I always do with my back to the pitcher and my arms up. So what's your point here? (note: I did not see the game)
I don't believe you turn your back on the guy with the ball. NEVER, EVER TURN YOUR BACK ON THE BALL.
First, it appears that you are pompous - "Hey, look at me, no one can do anything until I say so." Secondly, it's just dangerous.

The mechanic for granting time to a batter or catcher should be what we see in the bigs. Call "Time" with one or both hands - indicate (point) who asked for the break - and look directly at the pitcher. When everyone is set (you can say this quietly), "Here we go." and get the game going again.

Mario, I'm sure you know your pitchers and that they respect you, but a lot of rookies read this. Lesson 1 in umpiring is "Never take your eyes off the ball." The only time I step in front of the plate when "Time" has been called, is to prvent a confrontation on a hit batter or to dust off the plate.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 12:13pm
Official Forum Member

I don't believe you turn your back on the guy with the ball. NEVER, EVER TURN YOUR BACK ON THE BALL.
First, it appears that you are pompous - "Hey, look at me, no one can do anything until I say so." Secondly, it's just dangerous.

I believe the question was what would you do after the pitcher nails the batter. In that case, the pitcher no longer has the ball, so he hasn't turned his back on the ball. He's not being pompous. He's awarding first to the batter hit by pitch.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 12:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by WindyCityBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by ozzy6900
Quote:

The mechanic for granting time to a batter or catcher should be what we see in the bigs. Call "Time" with one or both hands - indicate (point) who asked for the break - and look directly at the pitcher. When everyone is set (you can say this quietly), "Here we go." and get the game going again.

Mario, I'm sure you know your pitchers and that they respect you, but a lot of rookies read this. Lesson 1 in umpiring is "Never take your eyes off the ball." The only time I step in front of the plate when "Time" has been called, is to prvent a confrontation on a hit batter or to dust off the plate.
WC,
I think you misread my post. The pitch hit the batter at which time I am coming out yelling "TIME", hands raised and putting myself between the batter & pitcher to prevent the confrontation. I am not concerned with F1 (with or without the ball) at this time. I'm just trying to keep the batter from doing a stupid thing. Of course, if the batter wants to charge, I'm not stopping him - I may be big and old but I'm not stupid! Anyway, you are correct in not taking your eyes off the ball in other situations.
Old Fri Jul 02, 2004, 01:37pm

Unhappy You're absolutely right...sorry!!!

Mea Culpa...
I did read it wrong. I've seen Mario's posts in the past and he seems pretty aware of good umpiring technique and mechanics.

Sorry for the confusion, but that's what I get for reading the "Putting the ball in Play" thread on a five inch PDA. I then responded to the wrong post.

My bad!!!