The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 04:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
Wow, you guys will take any port in the storm to show you are right, Interfered with the ball not the fielder, not OBR, Dixie, yadda, yadda yadda.

When a runner is hit by a batted ball and interference is called is it because he interfered with the ball or interfered with a fielders attempt to field the ball? Come to class. With that I'll A2D.

You're getting grumpy in your old age, Gee. Try to be more gracious when it's pointed out the you made a mistake.

This IS NOT "any port in a storm." This is in the Official Rules of Baseball:

7.08 states "Any RUNNER is out when-- (f)He is touched by a fair ball in fair territory before the ball has touched or passed an infielder...."

And. you've been around to along to be surprised that there are different interference rules and references in the OBR. If you A2D, you're diagreeing with reality.

You're better than that.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 04:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

What Garth said.

Whereas a base is a safe haven in softball, it is NOT in baseball. Get hit while on a base by a fair batted ball and you are out, unless the ball passes a fielder that is within a step-and-a-reach.

I called this a few years ago on a runner hit while standing on third. It hit him in fair ground, so he was out. 7.08 (f).

--Rich
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

If you read the original post it did not straight out say that a first baseman was making a play on the pop up but it inferred that when it said that the runner feared taking his foot off the base because he might get tagged out. If the F1 was not there where was he? Is that an unrealistic assumption? I think not.

With that said, it is my opinion the runner interfered with the fielder making a play on the pop up and under OBR 7.08(b) which is an obvious exception to OBR 7.08(f) the runner is not out providing he convinced the umpire he made a reasonable effort to avoid interfering while staying on the bag.

If you feel there was no fielder in the area to make the play use 7.08(f). I happen to think that's a stretch so I'm sticking with OBR 7.08(b). I don't think that is too hard to understand. G.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
[B]What Garth said.

Whereas a base is a safe haven in softball, it is NOT in baseball. Get hit while on a base by a fair batted ball and you are out, unless the ball passes a fielder that is within a step-and-a-reach.

I called this a few years ago on a runner hit while standing on third. It hit him in fair ground, so he was out. 7.08 (f).
----------------------------------------
I totally agree with your call, providing F5 wasn't right there trying to field the ball.

Different sitch. Runner on first, F3 probably holding him on or in close proximity.

Pop up to first base, runner feared leaving the base as he might be tagged out(after the catch by F3 and the ball hit him. I have nothing, assuming he convinced the ump he was trying to avoid the interference, OBR 7.08(b). G.

[Edited by Gee on Jun 28th, 2004 at 06:29 PM]
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

How the heck do you get interference with a player when the runner is hit with a batted BALL?!?!?!?!?!?!

That makes no sense at all!

Being hit with a batted ball falls under 7.08(f), not freakin (b)!

If a runner is touched with a fair batted ball he is out, whether or not he is on a base, unless the ball has passed by a fielder and no other infielder has a play on the ball, with the exception of an infield fly.

Why are you trying to warp the rules to fit your false premise?
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 08:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gee
If you read the original post it did not straight out say that a first baseman was making a play on the pop up but it inferred that when it said that the runner feared taking his foot off the base because he might get tagged out. If the F1 was not there where was he? Is that an unrealistic assumption? I think not.

With that said, it is my opinion the runner interfered with the fielder making a play on the pop up and under OBR 7.08(b) which is an obvious exception to OBR 7.08(f) the runner is not out providing he convinced the umpire he made a reasonable effort to avoid interfering while staying on the bag.

If you feel there was no fielder in the area to make the play use 7.08(f). I happen to think that's a stretch so I'm sticking with OBR 7.08(b). I don't think that is too hard to understand. G.
You're making up the interference, Gee. Nothing in the original play says this -- all it says is that a batted ball hit a runner on a base in front of a fielder. That's it. And that, in baseball is interference with the ball, and is an immediate dead ball out.

Your opinion is conjecture based on nothing mentioned in the original post.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 08:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by emaxos
I ususally stay in the softball board but I was told about a situation that happened in Dixie baseball that I wondered about.
R1 on first, defense playing behind the bag. Batter hits a soft popup toward first base, in front of the defense. R1 steps off 1st with one foot, then brings foot back to the base. R1 is has both feet on the base and the ball hits his leg and caroms toward second base as the defender is coming in. BU calls R1 out because he was hit by the ball.
Seems to me that vacating the base to avoid interference would put him in jeopardy of being tagged out or doubled up if catch was made. Isn't the base considered a safe haven?
In softball, the base is a safe haven, as far as I know.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 09:16pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, I think I'll mosey on back to the softball board; you guys are pretty intense!!
I didn't really try to present things in a comparative way to softball. I realize that's apples and oranges.
A coworker's daughter plays softball as does my DD and we usually talk softball. However, her younger son plays Dixie baseball and she mentioned this sitch. Not being knowledgable about OBR is what brought me here.
Thanks for all the input.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
See what all the arguing does? It chases the newbies away. Imagine if instead he'd stumbled on one of the other recent threads.
Old Mon Jun 28, 2004, 11:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by emaxos
Wow, I think I'll mosey on back to the softball board; you guys are pretty intense!!
I didn't really try to present things in a comparative way to softball. I realize that's apples and oranges.
A coworker's daughter plays softball as does my DD and we usually talk softball. However, her younger son plays Dixie baseball and she mentioned this sitch. Not being knowledgable about OBR is what brought me here.
Thanks for all the input.
Intense is not the word for it. I don't know what the softball board is like, but I hear the basketball board is hell. So ya'll come back now, you hear... The posts are not always that lively. Sometimes you get a question followed by a straight answer.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 01:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by akalsey
See what all the arguing does? It chases the newbies away. Imagine if instead he'd stumbled on one of the other recent threads.
I'm so ashamed. These delicate flowers must just wilt when a manager comes out of the dugout with steam coming out of his ears.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to jumpmaster Send a message via MSN to jumpmaster Send a message via Yahoo to jumpmaster
Lightbulb emaxos

careful guys - emaxos is a retired navy guy, don't be too quick to judge. What is called a Master Chief Petty Officer - In other words, when John Kerry was earning his medals, a guy like emaxos was making sure he didn't hurt himself and bringing everyone was coming home alilve. Guys like this ARE the military and our young men and women literally owe them their lives.

Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here - CPT John Parker, April 19, 1775, Lexington, Mass
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Appreciate your words, Al.
I don't believe that softball addicts like me are any less intense about that game as you all are about baseball. Was blessed with three daughters so baseball wasn’t an option.
Got one playing at the college level now and wouldn’t hesitate to say she plays the game as hard as any athlete in any sport, any gender, any level. Just like her Dad did things in the Navy!!

Keep our service men and women in your hearts and prayers.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't think this was that intense, at least not between Gee and I.

Gee - just because you aren't going to call him out for interfering with a fielder (which, in this case, you wouldn't since he was touching a base), you still have to call him out for being hit by a batted ball. They are two different rules, either of which could cause the runner to be out. You can't use the exception from one rule to infer an exception to another rule. If you get hit by a batted ball, you're out. Period.
Old Tue Jun 29, 2004, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

If you get hit by a batted ball, you're out. Period.

Unless, of course it's a foul batted ball, or an infield fly and you're on a base, or it has passed an infielder who has a chance for a play or, etc.