The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Question

Anyone see the CWS game LSU-South Carolina? A runner collided with the catcher and was ejected (the play is being run on Sporstcenter 6/22). After a conference it was overturned. What's the rule in NCAA?
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Where did you read it was overturned? I saw the game, saw the ejection (and thought it was warranted), and even noted that he waited until the runner touched home to eject him.

Never heard (or read) that it was overturned.

PS - Hook Em Horns!!!
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

I too saw on ESPN that the ejection was overturned following a conference amongst the umpires. Sports Center said something about that the reason the umpires decided to UN-eject him was because the "catcher did not have the ball." Maybe someone can clear this ruling up for me, too.
Old Tue Jun 22, 2004, 12:11pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I'm normally on the softball board, but knew this topic would come up since I'm from Omaha, and all the TV stations here were talking about it. From what I gather from the media here in Omaha is that they UN-ejected the runner because his collision was not a flagrant act because he was running a straight line, and the catcher got into his path while chasing the ball.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
That what I saw and I felt the ejection was not warrented either. A couple other officials I call with said the same thing.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckeye12
I too saw on ESPN that the ejection was overturned following a conference amongst the umpires. Sports Center said something about that the reason the umpires decided to UN-eject him was because the "catcher did not have the ball." Maybe someone can clear this ruling up for me, too.
It was reversed because the umpires decided it wasn't a flagrant collision.

The NCAA rules are available on-line. Look at the end of Rule 7.

Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 08:50am
Ref Ump Welsch

The umpires also consulted with the NCAA coordinator of baseball umpiring before overturning the ejection.
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

NCAA:Rule 8, sec 7b
"If the defensive player blocks the base (plate) or baseline clearly without possession of the ball, obstruction shall be called. The runner is safe and an immediate dead ball shall be called.
A.R. If the baserunner collides flagrantly, the runner shall be declared safe on the obstruction, but will be ejected from the contest. The ball is dead."
Old Wed Jun 23, 2004, 11:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tornado
NCAA:Rule 8, sec 7b
"If the defensive player blocks the base (plate) or baseline clearly without possession of the ball, obstruction shall be called. The runner is safe and an immediate dead ball shall be called.
A.R. If the baserunner collides flagrantly, the runner shall be declared safe on the obstruction, but will be ejected from the contest. The ball is dead."
And who's judgment is the one that matters as to whether the collision was flagrant or not? Answer - the plate umpire.

With all due respect to the umpires (and umpire coordinator) involved, I'm as troubled by this incident of umpire activism as I was by Tim McClelland's uninvited reversal of Angel Hernandez's foul call in last year's AL championship series.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
In this situation, I too can understand the ejection being overturned. You want to make sure to get call the right even if it means changing the original call. This was a big time stage, and I felt the correction to the ejection was the correct route to take in this situation.

I know it looks weird from the normal human eye when all of us watched the play on television. Plus, it calls the judgement of the plate umpire into question by other people, but I would be willing to put money down that the plate umpire in this situation felt better knowing the correct call was being made with the ejection being overturned.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 08:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
All,

I am a college umpire from Michigan and just recieved a forwarded email from my supervisor from Dave Yeast who is the national coordinator of college baseball umpiring.

If anyone would like to read Dave's email, please respond to [email protected] and I can forward it onto to you.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE I would be willing to put money down that the plate umpire in this situation felt better knowing the correct call was being made with the ejection being overturned. [/B][/QUOTE]

I would probably take that bet. I don't really see how he feels better being overruled on a judgement play a foot from his nose on the NCAA's premier baseball series on national television....

just maybe that's just me.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Over-ruled or reconsidered

Was he over-ruled and if so by who? The Tournament director? UIC for the tournament? On the field no one is going to over-rule the plate umpire.

Or did he, upon consultation with his fellow umpires, simply reconsider and then reverse his own call?
Old Wed Jun 30, 2004, 04:38pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I understand the plate umpire, after consulting with the other umpires on the field and the national coordinator of umpires, changed his ruling.