The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Just a thought since everything is slow. But with the amount of people who post on this, and other boards, who's comments do you take to heart and learn from the most.

This is, by no means, meant to minimize the importance of everyone elses comments, but just a measure of who we all listen to.

For me it is Carl, Jim Porter, Patrick, T-Allen, Jordan. These ones, for me, seem to get to the point and not get into the verbal wrestling matches that so often come up in situations. They seem to have a passion for the game, and genuinely want to help.

...but this is only my opinion

Max
Old Tue Jan 02, 2001, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Off topic slightly

Anyone know where Jim P has been lately?? His insight has been greatly missed of late. Just curious......hope all is well on the Northeastern Front.

Joel
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Me toooooo!

Carl, Bob Jenkins, Rich Froneheiser,Bob Pariseau, Jim Porter, Peter O. & Dave Hensley.
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool What am I, chopped liver?

Hey, you know..I know the hands are part of the bat just as much as the next guy. And to the best of my knowledge, I have never steered my brethren down the path of damnation and hell fire... at least the ones I like.

If I had a secret decoder ring, you'd like me...
Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Hensley for President....

...of my local umpire association, that is. My favorite post of anything that I have read on the net is Dave Hensley's, particularly the following.

"Because even though these umpires are in fact using an amalgam of two different rules codes, if you ask them directly they'll swear on their mothers' souls that they call FED for high school, and OBR for summer ball."

I move around a lot and have been in five associations and Dave has the nailed the truth to the wall for them all. I have most appreciated Rich Fronheiser's articles on the migrant ump, since that is my predicament. I read all his stuff but he does not contribute enough to the discussion boards. Hint Hint.

When I started umpiring, I knew that I would have to learn new mechanics and procedures as I moved from place to place. I wish I had had Rich's articles 7 years ago to help me. What I didn't know was that I was going to have to learn new FED rules each time I moved. Every time I move, my new umpire association "swears on their mothers' souls" that they call straight FED rules and each time it is a lot different from what came before. The previous group that I was in had a different set of rules for each partner! And all of them swore that they were calling straight FED. Can someone tell me where these 50 odd sets of FED rules can be purchased? I have only been able to come up with one version in print. That version only vaguely resembles what I actually have to call.

Old Wed Jan 03, 2001, 10:01pm
Get away from me, Steve.

OK, I'll tell another migrant ump story

I like when my name gets mentioned in a positive way .

I don't seem to have the time to contribute to the boards as much as I used to. I'm not only the migrant umpire, but the migrant worker. In the last year I've been to (for work reasons) 30 states, DC, and 2 provinces of Canada

I'll have to mention this to my boss. I deserve a raise. Actually, I ought to join multiple umpiring associations and work wherever I happen to be. Now THAT would be fun.

Anyway, this story is an example of one of those surreal plays where I thought I was dumped into the Twilight Zone of umpiring.

I had the plate, and my partner Ken (who I had never worked with before) had the bases. Ken was what I would call an average official. He was average in baseball, softball, football, and basketball. He was an umpire in football who managed to go an entire season without throwing a penalty flag OR blow his whistle. Nice work if you can get it.

R1. Outs unimportant. R1 steals, and we have a foul tip strike. The catcher doesn't throw down to second base. A stolen base.

I look up, and there's Ken shooing the runner back to first.

I IMMEDIATELY call time and say to Ken, although it might as well have been to nobody in particular, "He held it Ken. It's a foul tip. The runner keeps second."

Ken's face scrunches up to resemble a cross between a clenched fist and a dry crumpled-up sponge.

"He does?" the 20-year umpire replies. "No he doesn't."

At this point he shoos the runner back to first. The coaches are freaking clueless. NEITHER of them know the rule. And this was a high school varsity game.

Finally, I do my best "YOU! SECOND BASE!" and when the runner gets there I put the ball in play. Ken didn't know what hit him.

I showed him the rule after the game. I enjoyed the quart of beer Ken bet me, too.

[The next time I worked with Ken, he ejected a head coach -- the coach got mad at him for refusing to come to me on a check-swing (FED rules, Ken's prerogative). Of course the kid swung hard enough to screw himself into the ground and send a breeze out to me in C. I kept a straight face. The coach's turned deep purple.]

The funny thing about being the migrant umpire is that EVERY GAME is like this for a while. Just like you are the "wild card" for the association (moving into the area), every umpire you work with will be a wild card, too. Some umpires will talk the part and look sharp and umpire like they've never SEEN a game of baseball before. Other guys will be completely quiet, look disinterested before the game, and call a fantastic game. Later, from another partner, you find out your "disinterested" partner worked AA baseball for a few years.

Working in new places is fun, though. I've been lucky, because I've worked in places where I've been appreciated and lucky enough to receive some good high school assignments and made some good friends. Now I can't get the local guy here (in my new home in Massachusetts) to return my phone calls. They must have enough umpires. I've "hit" a few times. This time, in the place I'm most likely to stay for a while, I might have "missed".

Such is the life of the Migrant Offical.

Thanks for the kind words, Jake. You too, Tee.

Rich
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Smile

Well, always nice to see any degree of appreciation, whoever the source is. I don't expect much! ;-)

I find myself looking less and less at the poster's name before I read the post. I might read the name afterward if I get something from the post or if I will reply.

If I were to start naming names, there would most definitely be an ommission, so I won't. Thanks to all who post thoughtfully and accurately.

I will, though, give a few names of those that I sincerely miss: Jon Bible, Bob Pariseau, and T. Alan Christensen. Their absence leaves a vacuum that hasn't yet been filled.

P-Sz

P.S. Moose, I love you, even if no one else does! :-P

[Edited by Patrick Szalapski on Jan 12th, 2001 at 11:38 PM]
Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Patrick:

1. Tim C still posts periodically here at the forum and elsewhere. One of his posts is four above yours in this thread.

2. Jon Bible posts as much as he ever did, which is "from time to time", at URC on the college page. He also posts from time to time on a private, college umpire list. He has said he chooses to restrict his appearances on the internet and he avoids posting on sites dominated by personality clashes.

3. Bob Pariseau quietly slipped away during a storm over who decides which infractions should be called...coaches or the rules... about a year ago. He has been contacted by email a few times but apparently has chosen to refrain from returning.

I am amazed you didn't list Umphater as one who has left a void on the internet, and perhaps your heart. (Big Grin)

Old Sat Jan 13, 2001, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
Patrick:

1. Tim C still posts periodically here at the forum and elsewhere. One of his posts is four above yours in this thread.
Well, that makes me happier! I guess I never made the connection without the middle name in there.

P-Sz