The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Question leading off

What is the proper ruling, high school rulebook, on running outside the base paths. Now I took the last 2 years off from umping and got back into it this year and through the high school season kept seeing base runners leading off second going 5-7 feet behind the bag toward center or even towards left. This in my eyes can almost be call abandonment should I make the call or just let it go.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to nickrego
If the runner leads off either in front of or behind the bag, he is not abandoning the base or the base path. When advancing to the next base (or back to the prior base) from that position, they must go directly towards the base. By setting up say 5’ behind the bag, they have established that point as their starting point of a direct line to the base (base path). They now have + or – 3’ on that newly established base path.

The runner is only out for moving out of the base path if he does so to avoid a tag. The runner can set up in Right Field if they want to, as long as there is not an attempted tag being made while they are setting up out there. (This is an exaggeration of course to make a point)

But lets just say there are runners on 1st and 3rd with no outs. While the pitcher is holding the ball at the mound, the runner on 1st could start jogging in a large arc towards the outfield, advancing to 2nd base to draw a throw. He would not be considered out of the base path until a play started on him. At the moment the defense begins the play on the runner, the point he is at establishes his base path. During the attempted play (tag), he must go directly towards 2nd or 1st from that point. He can not go back to the direct line between 1st and 2nd to avoid a tag.

Nick
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Excuse me if this insults you a little however, I am assuming that at a minimum you have officiated HS ball for 2 years. This year and the year before you took off for 2 yrs. Were you ever given a rule book and any formal training whatsoever? This may not be your fault by I have to question how your association operates in order to do HS baseball.

For as long as I have been officiating baseball, (17-18yrs) a basepath is established ONLY when a play is being made on the runner.

Base runners can lead off a base as far as their heart desires. (5-7 or 57 feet)

Read Rule 8-4-2a

Abandonment of the base or basepath is totally different. It happens when a player that obtains the right to be on a given base, forfiets that right by leaving the field of play,(live ball territory) as defined (Fed & NCAA Rules)or determined by the umpire(OBR).

I guess I am a little taking back here because you stated that you umpire HS baseball. In my mind, this is one of the begining basic understandings necessary for officiating HS baseball. I hope this has helped and encourage you to read more of the Rules and other sources readily available. I would be glad to offer advice on many other sources also.
Old Fri Jun 04, 2004, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I have seen some teams, with a runner on 1B and 3B, have the runner on 1B just start walking toward RCF, in hopes of drawing the defense to him so a run can score from 3B. It usually works, the first time, on a team that has not seen this happen before, and not prepared for it.