The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   "You costed us the game" (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/13900-you-costed-us-game.html)

Baseball_North Sun May 30, 2004 10:29pm

Above, is a direct quote from the coach of the losing team of my game tonight.

....Top of the 1st inning.... 2-0 count on the #3 hitter for the visitors. Pitch comes in inside, the batter does not attempt to move, and if anything, moved into the ball. I call a ball and tell the batter to stay put. The coach disagrees, but seems contempt with my explanation. 3-0. Next pitch - ball. Batter walks. No problem, right? I thought it worked out well, as the batter got to 1st base anyway.

Team loses the game by about 10 runs, and after the game, the coach gives me the quote from above.... he said, "You costed us the game with that call in the first inning!" Rediculous....

Just thought I'd share another story.

DG Sun May 30, 2004 11:06pm

We had the batter hit by pitch (no attempt to get out of the way) series of posts a couple weeks ago. I have only had one of these this year. Good call.

ecurebel Mon May 31, 2004 03:07am

i actually had this event in my game the other night. It was where the kid could of been interpreted as in the act of swinging or in the act of dien out of the pitch...

the count was 3 balls 2 strikes on the home team batter, and two outs in the bottom of the sixth with the visiting team leading.

i ruled it as he was trying to make an effort to get out of the way of the pitch while being hit and sent him to first. some said i should of called him out.

calling the batter out on a pitch like this would of ended the game

TwoBits Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:05am

Quote:

Originally posted by DG
We had the batter hit by pitch (no attempt to get out of the way) series of posts a couple weeks ago. I have only had one of these this year. Good call.
Had two in the same day! Both ends of a double header, and it was the same batter! I put him back in the box the first game, my partner did in the second game.

Some kids never learn.

JRutledge Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by Baseball_North

Team loses the game by about 10 runs, and after the game, the coach gives me the quote from above.... he said, "You costed us the game with that call in the first inning!" Rediculous....

This is why I do not listen to what coaches say. Good or bad.

Peace

Jay R Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:35am

Quote:

Originally posted by Baseball_North
Above, is a direct quote from the coach of the losing team of my game tonight.

....Top of the 1st inning.... 2-0 count on the #3 hitter for the visitors. Pitch comes in inside, the batter does not attempt to move, and if anything, moved into the ball. I call a ball and tell the batter to stay put. The coach disagrees, but seems contempt with my explanation. 3-0. Next pitch - ball. Batter walks. No problem, right? I thought it worked out well, as the batter got to 1st base anyway.

Just thought I'd share another story.

Incredible. Such bad grammar from an adult.

bigwes68 Thu Jun 03, 2004 03:55pm

Called a tournament this weekend. 2 out, last inning of the last game of the day (6th game). Kid at the plate, stands about 4-6 (maybe shorter). He's already been hit once in the game, and I was reluctant to give him 1B then. 1-2 count, pitch is low but across the plate, but the kid sticks his foot out across the plate and tries to kick it. He missed it and the pitch was a ball, but if he had hit it, I think I would have probably called strike three.

As it was, the kid struck out looking on a pitch about letter-high to end the game. I got cussing from the stands, but I didn't care -- I had been out there about 11 hours and he could have hit the pitch. And they lost by about 7.

wobster Thu Jun 03, 2004 04:20pm

I had a great call last night. The pitch comes in, perfect strike. Short kid ducks and puts his HEAD in the strike zone. Hits him on the helmet, I call strike. Parents/coaches/players angry. I was happy. I haven't got to call that before. What an idiot.

jxt127 Thu Jun 03, 2004 08:46pm

Last year I had a kid do that two pitches in a row. First wasn't so bad the pitch was at least over his head. Next one belt high right down the middle of the plate. Strke 2.
A startled dad so I explained the rule to the fans while the coach checked if he was ok to continue. Only comment from the coach was well at last someone called it.

bluezebra Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:32am

"The coach disagrees, but seems contempt with my explanation."

How did the coach express his "CONTEMPT"?

"Rediculous...." Is that repeating a "diculous".

Baseball_North Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:15am

Quote:

Originally posted by bluezebra
"The coach disagrees, but seems contempt with my explanation."

How did the coach express his "CONTEMPT"?

"Rediculous...." Is that repeating a "diculous".

The coach was pissed at first, but once I explained that the player made no attempt to move, and if anything, moved into the ball... therefore it is a ball.... he just stopped yapping and returned to his coaching box.

I have no idea why this matters...

wobster Fri Jun 04, 2004 01:56pm

he was messing with you about your grammer, I believe.

Should have been "content with my explanation" and "ridiculous"

Baseball_North Fri Jun 04, 2004 05:38pm

Oh, I get it.

Holarious.

That was on purpose btw.

tag Wed Jun 09, 2004 06:35pm

Hit batsman in the act of swinging

Okay, this happened in a game just last night. A right-handed batter swung at a pitch clearly out of the strikezone (inside and at the letters) and was struck in the right upper arm as he rotated through. The umpire in our game awarded first. I argued and lost.

Is there a rule reference for this in the LL book? Thanks. -t.

LDUB Wed Jun 09, 2004 08:30pm

Re: Hit batsman in the act of swinging

Quote:

Originally posted by tag
Okay, this happened in a game just last night. A right-handed batter swung at a pitch clearly out of the strikezone (inside and at the letters) and was struck in the right upper arm as he rotated through. The umpire in our game awarded first. I argued and lost.

Is there a rule reference for this in the LL book? Thanks. -t.

OBR 6.08
The batter becomes a runner and is entitled to first base without liability to be put out (provided he advances to and touches first base) when
(b) He is touched by a pitched ball which he is not attempting to hit unless (1) The ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, or (2) The batter makes no attempt to avoid being touched by the ball; If the ball is in the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a strike, whether or not the batter tries to avoid the ball. If the ball is outside the strike zone when it touches the batter, it shall be called a ball if he makes no attempt to avoid being touched. APPROVED RULING: When the batter is touched by a pitched ball which does not entitle him to first base, the ball is dead and no runner may advance.