The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Thu Jan 04, 2001, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Ok here I go again comparing Umpires to other Officials but the thing I like about Football Referees is that the Calls are explained to the public via their "Mike".

In the PRO Game, the Referee even goes so far as to give the number of the individual committing the infraction. IMO
people have a better understanding of the game. I'm not saying they are going to agree with every call but at least they become aware of the ruling and understand the game better.

I would like to see this avenue used for Baseball Umpires at least at the NCAA Division 1 Collegiate Level and obviously at the PRO Game.

Example; Many people (even some umpires) do not know that on a Foul Tip - The ball is live. What's wrong after the play by saying - We have a Foul Tip - the ball is live and in play? You know what!!! - Pretty soon everyone would know the rule. You wouldn't see player X in a stuper caught between 1st and 2nd wondering what happened.

Also, Give the rule on base awards. Many people in the stands and even coaches - after a ball is thrown out of play wonder why a certain player is on 2nd base as opposed to third base. Again what's wrong with saying - Since this was the first play by an infielder - Number 23 gets 2 bases from TOP. At the TOP B1 was at home plate, hence he is now awarded 2nd base. Again, pretty soon everyone would know the rule.

IMO by explaining certain rules to the public - this would make one a better umpire ( it would keep him / her sharp)and also, the coaches / players and yes the Fans would start to understand the game more. I'm not saying everyone is going to agree with the call, but they would become more educated.

It seems over the years, PRO umpires continue to be more involved with their appearance (by constantly changing uniforms) then they are about the way the game is called. It's the 21st Century and maybe it's time to change.

Pete Booth