The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Question

I'm coaching our league's 10U USSSA All-Star team. This is the first year our league has played USSSA. Last year we were in Babe Ruth, so I'm still a little unsure about the rules. Our team has 10 players and USSSA allows an EH. So everyone will be in the batting order. My questions are regarding substitutions.

1. Starting pitcher - What is the restrictions on the starting pitcher returning to the mound in the same game? I know that he can't return if he's removed from two trips to the mound in the same inning. But what if he's pulled between innings and is moved to another position? What if he's pulled during an inning after one trip to the mound and moved to another position? Or if he's moved to EH?

2. Fielders - Since we only have 10 players and all are in the batting order (because of the EH), do I basically have free reign on substitutions?

[Edited by andrewm on May 20th, 2004 at 12:53 PM]
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

1)In all situations you stated, the pitcher may return to pitch. In USSSA, the EH is treated as any defensive position, and the pitcher may play as EH then go back in to pitch as long as he has not violated and other pitching restrictions.

2) Not sure exactly what you mean by "free reign of substitutions" since you stated you are batting 10 and have no subs. With only 10 on your roster and batting 10, each player is locked in the batting order in that position. They may play any defensive position at any time (of course, with exception to the above pitching regulations already stated).

One other thing I'll point out. If you start the game with 10 in the lineup, you must finish the game with 10. If a player becomes injured and is unable to finish the game and you have no subs, you must take an out when that batter's turn comes up.

Old Thu May 20, 2004, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

What I meant about free reign on subs is being able to move starting fielders in and out of the game in exchange for the EH. Since the EH is treated like a defensive position, I guess that means I can move anyone around without restriction, except for the pitcher.

The re-entry rule for the starting pitcher does not apply to relief pitchers, correct?
Old Thu May 20, 2004, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

I had this come up this season. I called three USSSA Directors and never got a firm reply. The way we treat it is just like the rule is written in the USSSA rules. If the coach makes the second trip and removes the pitcher from the mound to another position he may not return to the mound for that game. The rule only says on the second trip. First trip or between innings we allow him to return to the mound if he was a starter and goes to the bench (starter may return) or goes to another position in the game, providing he was a starter. The way the rule is written is not clear, but then read OBR.