The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Unbelievable (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/13696-unbelievable.html)

w_sohl Mon May 17, 2004 01:08pm

Playing adult SB yesterday, we have bases loaded two out, batter grounds to third baseman who runs and steps on the bag and immediatley yells out run doesn't count. I tell him it doesn't matter on a force out, he tells me no that if I had scored before the force that the run would count. OK, whatever, not gonna argue. Gets better. Hit to left field, gets it in to third baseman with a runner on third, he then lazily lobs it to pitcher without calling time and the runner at third takes off and scores, he say that he thought the play was dead when you through the ball to the pitcher. I said not unless you call time. He disagreed. The kicker, he told me he had umpired for eight years for the same association that I umpire for, now I know why he doesn't umpire anymore.

TriggerMN Mon May 17, 2004 01:29pm

Hmm, are you sure you weren't playing a 4th grade kickball game with those rules? ;)

DownTownTonyBrown Mon May 17, 2004 01:38pm

Wrong forum?

Quote:

Originally posted by w_sohl
...third baseman who runs and steps on the bag and immediatley yells out run doesn't count...

Buddy, you make the plays; I MAKE THE CALLS.

...third baseman with a runner on third, he then lazily lobs it to pitcher without calling time and the runner at third takes off and scores, he say that he thought the play was dead when you through the ball to the pitcher. I said not unless you call time. He disagreed...

AS WELL HE SHOULD DISAGREE. But likely it was for the wrong reason. YOU CALL TIME. PLAYERS DO NOT CALL TIME. They request it and you may, if the timing is appropriate, grant a time-out. It is your decision, just like an out or a safe call, not his.
Ooohhh by the way, why are you posting this softball (SB?) stuff over here on the baseball forum? Maybe you were looking for different replies.

Your point is well taken. Players don't have clue... especially adult softballers. Too many years watching TV and seeing the televised arguments and controversy put out by the media.

Yeah you adult softballers are all heros and rules gurus. :D

w_sohl Mon May 17, 2004 01:42pm

Right forum!

Quote:

Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:

Originally posted by w_sohl
...third baseman who runs and steps on the bag and immediatley yells out run doesn't count...

Buddy, you make the plays; I MAKE THE CALLS.

...third baseman with a runner on third, he then lazily lobs it to pitcher without calling time and the runner at third takes off and scores, he say that he thought the play was dead when you through the ball to the pitcher. I said not unless you call time. He disagreed...

AS WELL HE SHOULD DISAGREE. But likely it was for the wrong reason. YOU CALL TIME. PLAYERS DO NOT CALL TIME. They request it and you may, if the timing is appropriate, grant a time-out. It is your decision, just like an out or a safe call, not his.
Ooohhh by the way, why are you posting this softball (SB?) stuff over here on the baseball forum? Maybe you were looking for different replies.

Your point is well taken. Players don't have clue... especially adult softballers. Too many years watching TV and seeing the televised arguments and controversy put out by the media.

Yeah you adult softballers are all heros and rules gurus. :D

I was playing not umping, however I do umpire. Second, the point was that this guy said he had umpired for eight years. I can see why he is no longer umping.

Also, the umpire for the game last night told our captain, who I umpire with, that he likes to move games along so he calls alot of balls. LMAOROTF